Field Hockey Ties BU in Preseason Finale
Fall

For the past three seasons, every regular season bout between Boston College field hockey and crosstown rival Boston University has gone to overtime. Sunday’s matchup would’ve ended the same way if it weren’t a scrimmage.

After 70 minutes of scoreless play, the exhibition concluded in a 0-0 draw.

Right from the start, BC goaltender Sarah Dwyer was tested. The sophomore faced a few shots in the early portion of the scrimmage, but wasn’t really threatened until about the 17-minute mark, when the Terriers geared up for a corner. But fortunately for Dwyer, BU’s shot was blocked, and the score remained tied.

The Eagles had two corners of their own in the first half, both of which came in the final two minutes of the period. Even though BC got off a pair of quality shots, the Terrier keeper was able to protect the cage.

At the end of the first half, both teams had recorded five shots. The second half was a little more lopsided. Despite only taking one corner, BU outshot BC 8-4 in the final 35 minutes of play. Nevertheless, the Terriers failed to get on the board.

Dwyer finished the scrimmage with 10 saves—six more than the BU goaltender.

Head coach Kelly Doton applauded her group’s effort, but conceded that the team is not where it needs to be, in terms of execution. Regardless, Doton was pleased with the outcome of the exhibition, especially considering the kind of team BU is.

“It’s always great playing BU in the preseason,” Doton told BCEagles.com. “They are a really tough team—they compete really hard, they have a great coaching staff and they always give us a run for our money.”

Each of the teams’ past six regular season meetings have been decided by one goal. The two will face off again on Oct. 15.

Featured Image by Daniella Fasciano / Heights Editor

August 21, 2017