Fall

BC Shuts out Stony Brook for Second-Straight Win

Following a triumphant five-goal victory over Colgate this past weekend, Boston College women’s soccer headed to New York to play Stony Brook on Thursday. Entering the match, the Eagles boasted an undefeated record against the Seawolves in their eight-game history. The same was true after Thursday’s contest. BC took home its second-straight win with a final score of 3-0.

Just five minutes into the game, Jenna Bike notched her third goal of the season, providing the Eagles (3-2) with an early lead. Stony Brook (2-3) had an opportunity to tie the game when the Eagles were called for offsides—but the Seawolves couldn’t convert, and the Eagles returned to controlling the match. Even though Stony Brook had multiple throw-ins in BC territory, the Seawolves failed to get a good look on goal. To make matters worse, Stony Brook’s Chase Rome received a yellow card after a hit on freshman Sam Coffey.

Still, midway through the first period, BC was only up one. Junior transfer Elysa Virella had an opportunity for a second goal when she ripped a shot at Stony Brook goalkeeper Sofia Manner, but the Seawolves stood tall.

BC wasn’t fazed by its missed opportunity. In the 40th minute, sophomore Emily Langenderfer sent a through ball to Carly Leipzig. The junior took a few dribbles and then went near post for her first goal of the season.

The Stony Brook defense held strong at the start of the second half. But the Seawolves’ offense continued to struggle. And eventually, the Eagles resumed their scoring ways. Close to 20 minutes into the latter portion of play, Lauren Berman recorded her third goal of 2017.

Down three goals, the Seawolves started to crumble, especially in regard to their pass accuracy. For the final 20 minutes of the match, BC had the ball on Stony Brook’s half. As a result, the Eagles bombarded Manner with an array shots. BC was robbed of its fourth goal when the Sea Wolves’ defense made a narrow stop right in front of the net.

A Stony Brook free kick almost ruined the Eagles’ shutout, but Julie Johnstonbaugh’s shot went wide. Almost immediately after that, BC took a free kick of its own, but like Johnstonbaugh, Berman wasn’t able to cash in, and the Eagles lead remained at three.

In the final minutes of the game, the Seawolves put pressure on the Eagles, but BC’s defense kept Stony Brook at bay.

The Eagles’ win marks their first shutout and back-to-back victory of the regular season.

Featured Image by Lizzy Barrett / Heights Editor