Podcast

‘Eagle-Eyed’: Boston’s ‘Pete Frates Day’ and Fr. Leahy Condemns White Supremacy

On this episode…

• Pete Frates, the man behind the hugely-successful “ALS Ice Bucket Challenge,” has earned his own holiday in the City of Boston.
  • Logan Hoggarth, a former outfielder for Boston College baseball, describes his relationship with Frates.
  • And at University Convocation last week, Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J., condemned white supremacists.

Some additional background reading and watching…

• The full video of Wednesday’s ceremony from BC Athletics, with a lineup of speakers including Mayor Marty J. Walsh, WCAS ’09; Tom Werner, the chairperson of the Boston Red Sox; and Nancy Frates, Pete’s mother.
  • Our article on Pete Frates’ number retirement in the spring of 2016, and all the other stories we’ve written about Pete over the past few years.
  • Slate’s investigation into who actually started the Ice Bucket Challenge. (Fair warning: don’t expect a definitive answer.)
  • The homepage of the ALS Association, with helpful infographics explaining the disease and the impact of the Ice Bucket Challenge, and a link to donate. They even have a few podcast episodes, if you’re into that sort of thing.
  • Walsh’s tweet from Wednesday, including the full statement on the holiday declaration.
  • The full 19-minute TED talk Nancy Frates gave in Nov. 2014.
  • An article from CNN on Radicava, the new drug approved by the FDA to treat ALS.
  • Birdball is travelling to Cooperstown in October to honor Frates and play in the annual Sonny Nictakis Fall World Series. Here’s what will be staying in Cooperstown after the team returns.
  • News editor Connor Murphy’s story on Leahy’s statements at University Convocation.

Other ways to listen…

On your computer: Click play on the embedded player above. You can also navigate to bcheights.com/eagle-eyed to see the latest episodes.

On your iPhone, iPad, or other Apple device: here’s the link. You can also search “eagle-eyed” in the iTunes Store to listen and subscribe.

On your Android device: Click here to listen or subscribe via Google Play, here via Stitcher, or here via the RadioPublic app. If you have a favorite podcast app you can’t find us on, let me know.

We’d love your feedback on one of our first ventures into broadcast journalism. Send us an email at podcasts@bcheights.com. Tweet me at @AlecGreaney. Find us at McElroy Commons, Room 113.