Academic Deans Release Statement Denouncing DACA Decision
News, Top Story, Administration

The academic deans at Boston College released a statement in an email to the University community on Monday morning decrying President Donald Trump’s decision to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. The program is set to expire in March 2018. They join University President William P. Leahy, S.J. in condemning President Trump’s decision.

“Dear Members of the University Community:

Tuesday’s announcement by the Trump administration to rescind Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is a cruel and unjustified action. We stand firmly by the sides of all members of the University community affected by this decision and in solidarity with the 800,000 young people made vulnerable by this act.

The emerging situation only strengthens our resolve to further the University’s longstanding support of these youth. We join Father Leahy, University President, in continuing our support of students affected by DACA with utmost discretion and confidentiality.
All of us at Boston College are called to work towards a just society and the common good. We must prevail upon our representatives in Congress to quickly enact legislation to safeguard the lives, dreams, and aspirations of all those affected.
Sincerely,
Andy Boynton
John and Linda Powers Family Dean, Carroll School of Management
James P. Burns, I.V.D.
Dean, Woods College of Advancing Studies
Susan Gennaro
Dean, Connell School of Nursing
Gregory Kalscheur, S.J.
Dean, Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences
Vincent D. Rougeau
Dean, Boston College Law School
Thomas D. Stegman, S.J.
Dean, School of Theology and Ministry
Thomas B. Wall
University Librarian
Stanton E.F. Wortham
Charles F. Donovan, S.J., Dean, Lynch School of Education
Gautam N. Yadama
Dean, School of Social Work”