LTE: In Response to “Peter Markell, New Chair of Trustees, Discusses Goals, Recent Activism at BC”
Opinions, Letters To The Editor

Dear Peter K. Markell ’77, Chair of the Boston College Board of Trustees

In my humble opinion, Chairman Markell, University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J. as the leader of Boston College, should speak out whenever situations occur that especially hurt students. There cannot be a substitute for that. Whether he recognizes it, not speaking out about racism and other forms of oppression at BC has been his Achilles’ heel throughout his tenure as president. I cannot see the racial climate at BC improving until he interfaces with students to gain knowledge of their experience at the University. You were at the University during Father Monan’s tenure as president. Father Monan, as I recall, did not shy away from hearing student concerns. Leahy should take a page out of his book.

Leahy who, I am sure, believes himself to be a friend of the AHANA community can learn a great deal from Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who stated the following: “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

Respectfully submitted,

Donald Brown, Ed.D.
Former Director
Office of AHANA Student Programs
Boston College

Featured Image by Meg Dolan / Heights Editor