Elvis Costello Croons, Bastille, NAV Release Slick Singles

Elvis Costello, “You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way”

At 63, Elvis Costello is still steadily producing music as slick and disaffected as ever. “You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way” brings forth imagery of lazy afternoons and night-time saloons, as Costello recounts past loves that have made him wary of future relationships. “Time among all your enemies leaves you nothing but bitter memories”, he croons to a slow piano melody accompanied by a jazzy drum brush. The song shifts from a nostalgia-drenched past to a tormented present, culminating in cathartic bursts of violin and sax.

Bastille “World Gone Mad”

Supplying the dance floor dynamism of apocalypse demonstrated on its hit single “Pompeii,” Bastille returns with “World Gone Mad,” on which lead singer Dan Smith sings about revolution, corruption, and going against the grain of modern society. Though acoustic guitar strums meshed with synthy bass currents and hard-hitting kick drums is what we’ve come to expect from the British indie-pop sensation, the track nonetheless provides a fun radio listen.

NAV “Wanted You”

Canadian rapper-turned-Soundcloud phenomenon NAV released “Wanted You” earlier this weekend. Featuring frequent collaborator Lil Uzi Vert, the track takes us through the oozing psychedelia of modern relationships built upon Instagram and expensive Louboutins. NAV’s innocuous delivery plays up the cool indifference with which he treats his fangirls and his own complexities, while Vert provides an energy that makes the duo’s back-and-forth slick and interesting.

Featured Image by Verve Records