Two Teams Declare UGBC Bids for President, Vice President

Two teams have declared their intention to run for the Undergraduate Government of Boston College president and vice president spots for the next academic year. To move on to the formal campaigning stage, the teams must gather 250 signatures by Wednesday.

Reed Piercy, MCAS ’19, and Ignacio Fletcher, MCAS ’20, are currently collecting signatures to run, as well as Taraun Frontis, CSOM ’19, and Aneeb Sheikh, MCAS ’20.

Piercey, an International Studies major originally from California, began in UGBC freshman year as a member of the Undergraduate Leadership Academy. He spent this time on the Diversity and Inclusion division, planning events such as the annual ALC Boat Cruise and the GLBTQ Leadership Council (GLC) Gala.

As a sophomore, he became a senator for the class of 2019 in the Student Assembly (SA). His proudest accomplishment was passing a resolution to establish “Lean on Me” (LOM BC), a non-emergency text-based mental health hotline slated to launch later in the next few weeks.

“I’ve been working with Samaritans through 4Boston since freshman year,” Piercey said. “I’ve been very personally impacted by this work and am most impacted by mental health advocacy.”

Frontis, originally from Harlem, N.Y., is a junior concentrating in marketing and minoring in African and African Diaspora studies (AADS). While at BC, he has served as the chair of the AHANA+ Leadership Council (ALC), a Bowman advocate through the Thea Bowman AHANA and Intercultural Center, a social media coordinator for United Front, and a part of the Compass Mentoring Program.

Fletcher, a political science major originally from Colombia, immigrated to Puerto Rico with the aspiration of gaining U.S. citizenship and studying at a U.S. university. He spent freshman year on the Cushing Hall Residential Hall Council and “had the experience of learning about the freshman class.”

He was elected as a senator to represent the sophomore class in the SA, and is most proud of a resolution establishing a Puerto Rico Relief Committee, following Hurricane Maria. rough this resolution, he hopes to help Puerto Rican students know that they are supported away from home.

Sheikh, originally from Pakistan, is majoring in political science and minoring in AADS. At BC, he has served as a senator for the class of 2020 in the SA, an E-board member of the Muslim Student Association, and the Social Media Coordinator for LOM BC.

Campus wide campaigning will begin Feb. 5, following a campaign kicko event. e nal debate will occur on Feb. 11, the UGBC Primaries are scheduled to occur on Feb. 13 (depending on the number of teams running), and voting will take place on Feb. 15.

Featured Image by Kaitlin Meeks / Photo Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Two Teams Declare UGBC Bids for President, Vice President”

1. These candidates all seem neat, but none of them will stand a chance against me in the general election! #hashtagLeahy2018 baby!!