Women's Hockey

Previewing 2017-18 Women’s Hockey: New Hampshire

New Hampshire arrives in Chestnut Hill this weekend, the home of the newly crowned regular season Hockey East champions. Boston College women’s hockey earned its fifth-straight title with a clean sweep over Providence just two weeks ago, and proved its worth in a 5-2 Beanpot thrashing of Northeastern on Tuesday—the same team that handed the Eagles their last defeat back on Jan. 13. BC (25-2-3, 17-1-3 Hockey East) comes into Friday’s game high on confidence and will be looking to sustain its momentum ahead of this Tuesday’s Beanpot Championship against Boston University. Tomorrow’s matchup against UNH (13-11-7, 8-8-5) will also serve as BC’s senior day. Prior to the game, a special ceremony will take place in which seniors Katie Burt, Kenzie Kent, Toni Ann Miano and Gabri Switaj will be honored for their time with BC Hockey over the past four years.

Who is BC playing?

New Hampshire

When is BC playing?

Friday, Feb. 9, 2 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Kelley Rink, Chestnut Hill, Mass.

How to Watch:

The game will be streamed live on ESPN3, which is available at watchESPN.com and on the ESPN app.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) Senior forward Kenzie Kent has 14 career points against the Wildcats: four goals and 10 assists.

2) Makenna Newkirk, however, is the Eagles’ active leading scorer versus UNH with 15 points (four goals and 11 assists).

3) Backup goaltender Gabri Switaj’s career-best 22 saves came on Nov. 13, 2015 in a 6-1 win over UNH.

UNH:

1) Meghara McManus and Taylor Wenczkowski lead the Wildcats in scoring with 18 points apiece this season.

2) The most points UNH has conceded this season is also 18, and occurred during its 6-0 loss to BC on 5th January.

3) The Wildcats were shut out, 3-0, last time out, falling to Maine on Feb. 3.

Last Meeting: Jan. 7, 2018

In the back half of a weekend series at UNH on Jan.7, BC capitalized on a three-goal second period to pull away from the Wildcats, finishing with a convincing 5-1 win after blanking its Hockey East foe the day before. After UNH tied the game with a power-play goal in the opening period, Caitrin Lonergan, Kent, and superstar freshman Daryl Watts rallied to wrestle the lead back for BC. Lonergan ended up with four points (two goals, two assists) on the day, and goaltender Katie Burt recorded 28 saves.  

BC wins if…

It keeps Watts, Longergan and Newkirk involved in the offense. Watts has averaged over two points per game and over a goal per game in conference this year, while Lonergan and Newkirk are each averaging over an assist per game. In Hockey East play, Watts is five points shy of Kendall Coyne’s single-season scoring record of 55 points, and just two goals behind Coyne’s tally of 28. In terms of assists, both Lonergan and Newkirk have charted 26 this year, trailing former Eagle Alex Carpenter’s record of 32. These marks were set during the 2015-16 season, the first season of Hockey East’s new 24-game format.

BC loses if…

It falters on defense, especially in the midst of power plays. During its last loss against Northeastern, BC conceded a goal, less than 30 seconds into the Huskies’ second power play of the day, allowing Northeastern to draw first blood—the start of what became a 4-2 Eagles defeat. Of course, BC has reasons to be hopeful—a seven game win-streak attests to that—but, at the same time, head coach Katie Crowley’s team cannot afford to be complacent at crucial points during the game, or it will pay the price.

Featured Image by Kaitlin Meeks / Heights Editor