Women's Basketball

Previewing 2017-18 Women’s Basketball: Louisville

Boston College women’s basketball (7-16, 2-11 Atlantic Coast) welcomes No. 4 Louisville to Conte Forum on Thursday night. The Eagles enter the game having secured their first win in 10 games—a 72-61 victory over Pittsburgh—on Sunday. As such, BC will be hoping to put together its first set of back-to-back wins this season. Head coach Erik Johnson’s team will be up against an accomplished Louisville team that pushed top-ranked Connecticut all the way to the wire in a 69-58 loss this past Monday. Before the defeat, the Cardinals (25-2, 11-1) had won five games on the bounce, and have only dropped one other game this season—a one-point loss to No. 12 Florida state on Jan. 21. 

Who is BC playing?

Louisville

When is BC playing?

Thursday, Feb. 15, 7 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Conte Forum, Chestnut Hill, Mass.

How to Watch:

The game will be broadcasted on ACC Network Extra and livestreamed on WatchESPN.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) Freshman Milan Bolden-Morris has accumulated an impressive 70 three-pointers this year, just 4 shy of Kelly Hughes’ single-season record.

2) BC’s 72 points against Pittsburgh on Sunday was the most it has scored since its last victory over UNC on Jan. 4.

3) On average, BC scores 32 percent of its points in the fourth quarter of games.

Louisville:

1) The Cardinals’ leading scorer, Asia Durr, currently averages 19.8 points and 2.0 assists per game.

2) Louisville is winning by an average margin of 21 points this season.

3) Thanks to an 11-1 conference record, the Cardinals stand atop the ACC standings.  

Last Meeting:

Almost a year to the day, BC was outclassed by a familiar ACC foe in a 25-point, 68-43 home loss to Louisville. The Cardinals led 12-2 after just six minutes, as the Eagles struggled offensively with just 12.5 percent shooting from the field in the opening quarter. In large part due to the fact that BC’s senior weapon, Hughes, went scoreless, the Eagles found themselves down by 19 at intermission. Things didn’t get much better for BC—it conceded nine quick points to open the second half, giving Louisville a 44-18 lead with just 6:40 left in the third quarter. Facing a 23-point deficit after three quarters, BC simply had no means of stringing together any sort of run in the final frame.  

BC wins if…

Its offense can stay hot. Sophomore forward Georgia Pineau had a career-high 23 points on Sunday and Bolden-Morris accounted for another 15. Added to that, Taylor Ortlepp chipped in 13 points, and graduate senior Andie Anastos provided 11 more. Quite simply, against the Cardinals’ own high-octane offense, BC must execute on offense, putting up at least 70 points itself, in order to stand a chance.

BC loses if…

It doesn’t get off to a quick start and can’t control the battle of the boards. BC has averaged just 12 points in the opening quarter this year, compared to the Cardinals’ 22. Falling to a 10-point deficit in the first frame would call for the Eagles to mount an unrealistic comeback, considering the pedigree of their opponent. In addition, BC’s current rebounding margin is -5.3, while Louisville’s is almost +10. If BC succumbs to a 15-point swing on the glass and keeps giving away easy possessions, it’ll really struggle to contain Louisville’s offense, which is converting almost half of its shots this year.

Featured Image by Savanna Kiefer / Heights Senior Staff