Women's Hockey

Previewing 2017-18 Women’s Hockey: Maine

Fresh off a week in which it earned the Hockey East regular season trophy and its third Beanpot title in a row, Boston College women’s hockey closes out its regular season with a pair of games against No. 9 Maine.

The No. 3 Eagles (26-3-3, 17-2-3 Hockey East) are the only team with its playoff seed locked up, and will look to spoil the Black Bears’ (17-10-5, 11-7-4) attempt at their highest finish in school history. They have two games this weekend to just one for second-place Providence, looking to close a one-point gap.

Who is BC playing?

Maine

When is BC playing?

Friday, Feb. 16, 2 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 17, 2 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Alfond Arena, Orono, Maine

How to Watch:

Both games will be available to stream on Maine’s website, goblackbears.com

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) The Eagles’ offense has been impressive all season long, but the numbers they have are above and beyond. They’re averaging 3.09 goals per game in conference play—a full goal more than second-place Boston University.

2) Caitrin Lonergan became the third fastest BC player to 100 career points, hitting the century mark with a pair of first-period assists against BU on Tuesday. She leads the country in assists (40).

3) Defenseman Toni Ann Miano scored the game-winning goal in the Beanpot championship, continuing her impressive season—she ranks second in the country in points per game among defensemen (1.12).

Maine:

1) Carly Jackson, a sophomore, has been arguably the best goaltender in Hockey East play this season. Jackson boasts a league-best 1.76 goals against average and a .932 save percentage that ranks second by a hair.

2) Brooke Stacey has been the definition of clutch for Maine this season, piling up four game-winning goals. Stacey, a senior, enters on a three-game scoreless streak, but still ranks 60th in points per game on the season.

3) The Black Bears are particularly penalty-prone, commiting the 14th most, but are impressive on the kill—they hold opponents scoreless 86.6 percent of the time, good for 13th in the country.

Last Meeting:

Balanced scoring led the Eagles to a convincing win against Maine at Kelley Rink, scoring four goals in the first period en route to a 7-2 victory in October. Eleven different players got on the scoresheet for BC, the penalty kill went 5-for-5, and goaltender Katie Burt needed to make just 12 saves. Daryl Watts scored twice and added a pair of assists, while Lonergan recorded three points and four other Eagles had multi-point days.

BC wins if…

It plays the way it did the last time these two met. BC doesn’t have anything to play for, having already locked up the No. 1 seed in the upcoming Hockey East playoffs, but that’s not to say it’ll take the weekend off. The Eagles overmatched the Black Bears last time out with their sheer depth alone, so expect a potentially lopsided set of matchups.

BC loses if..

It gets complacent. The Eagles are coming off a huge win over BU in the Beanpot championship, but let’s not forget that they lost to New Hampshire just a few days prior. BC is human, after all, and with the top seed locked up, it could take it easier than usual. Maine will need to get a herculean effort from Jackson, limit penalties, and make the most of its limited chances to beat a team it has lost 20 of the last 21 meetings to.

Featured Image by Bradley Smart / Heights Editor