Arts, Music, Review

Drake Lives out “God’s Plan” in New Video

“The budget for this video was $996,631.90,” reads the screen in the beginning of Drake’s new music video, “God’s Plan.” “We gave it all away.”

A few weeks ago, Instagram and Twitter blew up because Drake made surprise appearances at Miami Senior High and the University of Miami. When word got out that he was filming a music video from the top of UM’s student center, the entire city was ecstatic. When people thought it couldn’t get any better, Drake gave UM student Destiny James a $50,000 check to help pay for her education.

A huge crowd formed around UM’s Student Center that day. Drake was perched on the top story, donning a Miami Hurricanes sweatshirt, singing to a crowd of hundreds of students. The same happened at Miami Senior High— Drake was standing in a bucket truck, high above the massive throng of students enthusiastically singing and dancing below.

The rap star also made a $25,000 donation to Miami Senior High to develop a better after-school program. His string of donations doesn’t end here: Drake paid for every shopper’s groceries at a local supermarket, provided toys for children at Lotus House (he shut down Brickell City Centre to allow the women in this same shelter go shopping), and made monetary donations to the Miami Fire Department and the University of Miami Frost School of Music.

The video is pierced with commentary from the diverse locals of Miami—people from all different walks of life—about being optimistic in a seemingly dreary world. “God’s plan, I can’t do this on my own, no,” Drake sings in the new single. He truly lived these lyrics on his trip to Miami—it is especially impressive how much he gave back to a single city, one that’s not even his hometown, in a single day.

Drake rocked the worlds of countless individuals on Feb. 5 through his philanthropic actions as featured in his music video for “God’s Plan.” There’s no doubt that he is setting an example for other musicians—the video is currently #1 on YouTube. They’d be stupid not to follow in his footsteps.

Featured Image by Young Money Entertainment