BC Will Not Change Policy on Contraceptives in Response to Sexual Health Referendum
News, On Campus, Top Story, Administration

After a Students for Sexual Health referendum on the 2018 Undergraduate Government of Boston College election ballot received 94 percent support from students who voted, Boston College issued a statement to The Heights expressing an unchanged stance on distributing contraceptives on campus.

As with Notre Dame, Georgetown, Holy Cross and most Catholic colleges and universities, Boston College does not permit the public distribution of condoms on campus,” University Spokesman Jack Dunn said in an email. “We take this position out of respect for our commitments as a Jesuit, Catholic university, and we ask our students to be respectful of these commitments and the code of conduct that governs all BC students.”

Previously, Connor Kratz, co-chair of Students for Sexual Health and MCAS ’18, had conducted a survey of the student body, which received 393 responses. Though not necessarily representative, the survey served as evidence presented to students when a petition to have the referendum was held.

In the survey, nearly 80 percent of respondents identified themselves as sexually active at BC, 42.4 percent reported that they used a condom during sex, and 44.3 percent disclosed that they did not know where they could acquire contraceptives on campus.

Featured Image by Katie Genirs / Asst. Photo Editor