BC Won’t Penalize Applicants for Protesting Parkland Shooting
News, Off Campus, Top Story, Administration

Director of Undergraduate Admissions John Mahoney released a letter on the shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., which occurred on Feb. 14., resulting in 17 people killed. Other institutions, such as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston University, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst, issued letters telling applicants that participating in protests will not jeopardize their chances of being admitted.

His full statement is below:

“Boston College mourns the victims of the shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida,” Mahoney said. “We pray that their families and the community will find healing and strength to move forward in the aftermath of this tragedy.

“Education expands knowledge and advances society. It produces more thoughtful, more tolerant, and more compassionate human beings.

“Boston College commends the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.  They have inspired high school students nationwide to remind us that safety, freedom, and peace are essential in all educational settings.

“Applicants to Boston College who respectfully speak and act in support of these principles will not be penalized in the admission process.”

Featured Image by Katie Genirs / Asst. Photo Editor