Spring, Baseball

Behind Season-High 16 Runs, Eagles Stretch Win Streak to Seven

In the first seven games of the season, Boston College softball lost all but two games, scoring just 19 runs. On Wednesday night in Rhode Island, the Eagles almost reached that total in just five innings, rolling to a 16-4 run-rule win over Providence (6-19, 3-2 Big East) for their seventh victory in a row—the program’s longest win streak since February 2012.

The lineup, fresh off of a double-digit performance in the weekend series finale at Syracuse, picked up where it left off. The first four BC (16-15, 5-3 Atlantic Coast) batters reached, en route to a five-run opening frame, ultimately building a 7-0 lead before the host Friars could get on the board. The Eagles scored in all but one inning, capping the win off with a six-run fifth inning that would send everyone home early.

C.C. Cook, hitting out of the cleanup spot, went 3-for-4 with a home run and three RBIs, while leadoff hitter Chloe Sharabba homered for the second game in a row. It was more than enough run support for the duo of Jessica Dreswick and Allyson Frei, who combined for eight strikeouts and stranded seven Friars on base in the win.

On Saturday against the Orange, the Eagles 12-2 win saw the bats heat up late—10 of the runs came in the final three innings. That wasn’t the case on Wednesday, as Providence starter Megan McCune recorded just one out before exiting, struggling mightily with her command.

McCune was greeted rudely by Sharabba, who doubled to left field to open the game. After stealing second, McCune walked Annie Murphy before Cook singled in a run. A wild pitch, walk, and passed ball later, the Eagles already held a 2-0 lead without recording an out.

RBI singles from Lexi DiEmmanuele and Cami Sellers, paired with a throwing error from Providence catcher Jackie Martin, doubled BC’s lead. After issuing her third walk of the inning, McCune exited, in line for the ugly loss following a shaky start. Her control issues were quite surprising, considering she entered having walked just nine batters in 34 2/3 innings on the year.

Trailing 5-0, Friars reliever Olivia Sprofera escaped the inning and threw a scoreless second, but soon found herself watching Sharabba circle the bases, courtesy of a two-run blast that extended the Eagles’ lead. It was the senior’s fourth home run on the year, good for the team lead on the season.

After retiring six of the first seven batters she faced, Dreswick finally conceded her first earned run in over 17 innings. The junior right-hander gave up a RBI double to Mackensie Compton and then, after striking out back-to-back batters, coughed up a two-out, two-run single to Brittney Veler.

The Eagles’ offense had more than enough of an answer, though. Entering the fourth with a four-run lead, Cook led off the frame with a solo home run. Then, with two outs, BC sparked a rally—Sellers doubled in DiEmmanuele after a walk and a two-base error from Friars first baseman Taylor Stephen brought in another run to make it 10-4.

Providence turned to Julia Murphy in the sixth with the game largely out of reach, and the freshman fared about as well as expected against the red-hot Eagles lineup. Murphy issued three-straight walks to load the bases with just one out, and BC quickly capitalized. DiEmmanuele drove in a run with a fielder’s choice, then Sellers and Chimento drew consecutive bases-loaded walks—before DiEmmanuele stole home to add insult to injury.

Murphy managed to get the frame’s second out by inducing a shallow flyout, but a passed ball by Martin and a RBI single from Cook pushed the total to 16—the Eagles’ most runs in a single game this year and the most since a 16-0 shutout win over Massachusetts in April 2015.

It was a more than promising victory for BC, who is playing easily its best softball of the season. The Eagles have not only won eight straight, but are also excelling in every facet of the game. During the streak, the lineup is hitting a remarkable .316—over 90 points higher than the season average. The duo of Frei and Dreswick have posted an impressive 1.75 ERA, allowing just 11 earned runs. Pair that with a defense that has committed just three errors and BC has the look of a team ready to make a run in the always difficult ACC.

Featured Image by Shaan Bijwadia / Heights Staff