Spring, Baseball

Previewing 2018 Baseball: Dartmouth

Stuck on a four-game losing streak, including a disappointing sweep at the hands of Wake Forest last weekend, Boston College baseball seeks to escape the recent struggles as it hosts Dartmouth on Wednesday afternoon. The Eagles (12-23, 5-13 Atlantic Coast) have dropped 12 of their last 15 before today’s meeting with the Big Green (9-16-1, 5-3-1 Ivy League).

Who is BC playing?

Dartmouth

When is BC playing?

Wednesday, April 18, 4 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Harrington Athletics Village at Brighton Fields, Brighton, Mass.

How to Watch:

The game will be broadcasted on WZBC Sports Radio.

Probable Pitching Matchup:

RHP Matt Gill (1-3, 3.90) vs. RHP Tyler Fagler (0-1, 7.71)

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) Chris Galland saw his perfect start on the basepaths come to an end Wednesday afternoon, as he was caught stealing for the first time in 27 attempts. The freshman has 26 stolen bases, good for second in the Eagles all-time record books.

2) During the weekend series against Wake Forest, BC was held to zero runs for a span of 23 innings, managing just one run over the three-game set.

3)  The Eagles are currently just 5-13 in conference play. BC has yet to post a winning record in the conference since entering the ACC in 2005.

Dartmouth:

1) The obvious player to watch is Sean Sullivan, who has had an up-and-down season, but still ranks 17th in D1 with a .400 average. Sullivan started the year hitting .540 over a 12-game stretch, hit a midseason slump, but has since returned to form.

2) The Big Green have taken their past two conference series, taking two of three against rivals Cornell and Columbia. They’re currently third place in the Ivy League behind Yale and the aforementioned Lions.

3) The probable starter, Fagler, allowed two runs over three innings of work in his last outing. The sophomore walked two and struck out two in the loss to Massachusetts Lowell.

Last Meeting:

Dartmouth has won four of the last six meetings against the Eagles, coming away with an 8-3 win a year ago. The Eagles trailed the Big Green by just one entering the sixth, but Dartmouth scored five runs in the inning to take a strong 8-2 lead. BC players Jacob Yish and Johnny Adams went 2-for-4 with two stolen bases while Dartmouth players Dustin Shirley and Michael Ketchmark both had three hits and two RBIs. This will be the 70th game between these two schools, with the Eagles holding a 39-30 edge in the all-time series.

Outlook:

Scoring just twice in their last four games, the Eagles are struggling as of late to come away with any semblance of offensive production. On the other hand, Dartmouth has piled up 29 runs in its last four games. The Eagles are likely to go against Fagler, who has an ERA of 7.71, so BC needs to take advantage of any scoring opportunities that come its way in the first few innings if it wants to shake another skid.

Featured Image by Kaitlin Meeks / Heights Editor