Arts, Music, Review

Miguel Riddles Artistry with Objectification in “Come Through and Chill”

Miguel slows down life in the fast lane for the “Come Through and Chill” video. The video opens with a smiling woman sparkling in a silver sequin outfit under bright stage lights. Miguel sits in a seat in front of the stage while watching the woman behind a pair of stylish round sunglasses. The singer takes a full bite of an apple, perhaps a signal of the promiscuity that is displayed throughout the video. J. Cole stands in front of a red stage curtain while talking into a phone booth as he begins his verse with “Pick up the phone, show me it was real.” Shots of the woman performing sultry dance moves in front of a dance studio mirror are sprinkled throughout the video. Miguel taps into glamourous settings to match the sultry tone of the lyrics.

“Come Through and Chill” features a sublime color palette, complemented by lighting effects. Warm yellow stage lights and special attention to color throughout the video make for an aesthetically pleasing video. A split screen contrasts the background colors of pink and yellow as two versions of Miguel sing the lyrics “Usually I don’t do this often / But since recruiting isn’t an option.” The attention to color is obvious in shots that feature Miguel sitting on a bed in front of a tree covered in pink flowers. The inclusion of black women of various complexions also highlights the beauty of the color in the video while affirming the beauty of all shades of skin.

A ringing telephone interrupts Miguel’s interaction with a different girl on a pier in front of the New York City skyline. The dancer sets up an appointment to see the singer, to the disappointment of the other woman. Sultry scenes show the two rolling around in bed, the woman biting into Miguel’s arm at one point. An especially daring shot shows a revealing view of a third woman’s butt as she crawls into bed with yet another woman. The sexual encounters in the video eventually progress to reveal Miguel tangled up in bed with multiple women. The passionate indulgence depicted in the video is fitting for the sexually explicit lyrics of the song—Miguel croons “I wanna f—k all night” throughout the chorus of the song.

Miguel is known for sensual songs like “Adorn” and “Sure Thing,” but the risque scenes in his latest video seem ignorant. While the scenes are done tastefully, focusing on skin-to-skin contact and luxurious lingerie, girl-on-girl scenes that produce pleasure in the male subject produce the effect of commodifying female sexuality for a male audience. Miguel’s use of several women in the video perpetuates the objectification of women and places undue value on the sexuality of the women in the video. The video’s artistic value is disparaged by the uncomfortable relationship between men and female sexuality video.

Featured Image by RCA Records