News, Top Story

BC Drops One Spot in Annual Forbes Rankings

Boston College ranked 50th in the Forbes “America’s Top Colleges” list this year, falling only one spot from the previous edition. BC suffered a 27-place drop in last year’s Forbes rankings, moving from No. 22 to No. 49.

Each year, Forbes also releases the methodology and logic behind the rankings. In 2018, rankings were weighted as follows: 20 percent for alumni salary; 20 percent for debt—a combination of the average federal student loan debt per borrower, relative to the number of students who took out loans, and the two-year and three-year federal student loan default rates; 20 percent for student experience, which is based on freshman-to-sophomore retention rate and a survey of students and alumni; 15 percent for the American Leaders List—a Forbes compiled list of thousands of schools’ most successful alumni; 12.5 percent for academic success; and 12.5 percent for graduation rate.

The University of Notre Dame’s ranking changed slightly, improving from 26th place to 21st. Fellow rival Boston University moved to No. 78, up from its spot last year at No. 86.

The US News rankings, which will be updated on Sept. 10, currently place BC in a tie with the College of William and Mary at No. 32 in National Universities.

Featured Image by Celine Lim / Heights Staff

August 25, 2018