Fall, Men's Soccer

Previewing 2018 Men’s Soccer: Providence

Boston College men’s soccer (1-0-1) arrives in Providence on the back of a thrilling draw against crosstown rival Boston University. Monday night’s game saw three different Eagles score in the second half, ultimately leveling game at three goals apiece and preserving an undefeated record through the second match of the season. Meanwhile, Providence (1-1-0) started the season with a promising extra time win over No. 8 Southern Methodist University, but disappointingly fell, 3-0, to the University of Illinois last Sunday. The Friars, then, will be keen to improve upon their 15-8-7 record against the Eagles, as they look to complete a one-two over their Bostonian visitors, with Harvard visiting Rhode Island on Monday.

Who is BC playing?
Providence College

When is BC playing?
Friday, Aug. 31, 7 p.m.

Where is BC playing?
Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium, Providence, R.I.

How to Watch:
The match is available to watch on Friars.com.  

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) A win would improve the program’s all-time record to 438-385-103 and head coach Ed Kelly‘s record at BC to 278-227-61.

2) Striker Simon Enstrom has started the season with three goals in two games.  

3) Senior Joshua Forbes is now in his second year serving as captain after first receiving the armband in 2017 as a junior.

Providence:

1) The Friars’ roster features 10 newcomers for the 2018 season.

2) Providence took 14 shots last time out against UIC, but only 32 percent of their shots have been on target so far this season.  

3) The Friars have racked up five yellow cards in just two games this year.  

Last Meeting:

Simon Enstrom converted a penalty in extra time to give BC a 2-1 win over Providence last September. After a scoreless first half, the Eagles’ then-sophomore centre back Abe Bibas broke the deadlock by heading in a shot to put BC in front. This inspired the Friars to mount consistent assaults upon the Eagles’ box, which eventually paid dividends when they finally scored in the 85th minute, courtesy of a close-range Mac Steeves finish. With the game tied up at the end of regulation, a tense period of extra time awaited, and after the Friars had a good chance denied by Antonio Chavez Borrelli, the Eagles countered and were awarded a penalty, thanks to a Providence handball. Talisman Enstrom stepped up and calmly slotted the spot kick past Colin Miller to give BC a much deserved home victory.

BC wins if…

It can shore up its defense. Freshman goalkeeper Joe Fryatt is undoubtedly talented but a little inexperienced on the college stage, and he conceded a first-half goal against the Terriers on Monday that must have concerned coach Kelly, given that Fryatt was yanked in favor of Chavez-Borrelli for the latter portion of play. Traditionally, the Friars have been a team that is not afraid to shoot on sight, so the back four will have to keep their wits about them. That being said, if the Eagles can maintain their composure on the ball at the back, they should have the firepower to punish Providence up top.

BC loses if…

It fails to contain Tiago Mendonca, who makes the Friars tick. Originally from Portugal, the midfielder was a standout freshman, earning Big East honors before a serious injury shortened his sophomore campaign. After playing his way back into the lineup in 2017, the strong box-to-box midfielder has impressed so far this season and will be looking to find the net again after scoring against SMU.

Featured Image by Bradley Smart / Heights Editor

August 31, 2018