Fall, Women's Soccer

Previewing 2018 Women’s Soccer: Temple

Boston College women’s soccer (7-0) welcomes a slightly more distant opponent on Sunday, compared to its last foe, Boston University. This week’s visitor is Temple (3-3), which enters the game with a cloud of uncertainty at its head. After a promising start—one that saw the Owls win three out of their first four games and, at one point, post three-straight shutouts—Temple has lost its last two matches by considerable deficits. Meanwhile, the Eagles have yet to lose a match this season and are off to their best start since 2006. That particular BC outfit began with a 9-0 record. This year’s Eagles have outscored their opponents, 17-2, through seven games of action and are hoping to ride the momentum in ACC play.

Who is BC playing?

Temple University

When is BC playing?

Sunday, Sep. 9, 1 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Newton Soccer Field, Newton, Mass.  

How to Watch:

The match is available to watch on ACC Network Extra.

By the Numbers:

BC:

21: Number of seasons Alison Foley has served as the team’s head coach.

21: Texas Tech’s national ranking before falling to BC, 1-0, last week.    

5: Number of goals Eagles leading scorer Gianna Mitchell has totaled this season.

Temple:

1: Sunday will be the first meeting between Temple and BC.

405: Number of minutes junior goalkeeper Morgan Basileo has racked up this season.

13: The average number of shots the Owls record per game.

Last Meeting:

This will be the first meeting between BC and Temple.

BC wins if…

The back line can remain cohesive. Foley must be thrilled that the Eagles have managed to keep a clean sheet in each of their last six games. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Alexis Bryant has started in all of BC’s matches this season and has thus logged over 500 minutes in net. That kind of consistency has been the key for the Eagles’ defense this fall, and odds are nothing drastic will change on Sunday.

BC loses if…

It fails to keep tabs on Emma Wilkins. The sophomore forward earned American Athletic Conference weekly honors for her performances against Maryland and Central Connecticut State last weekend, and she leads the team in goals (four), ranking second in the AAC. If the Eagles don’t limit her production, Temple’s attack could pose problems for the typically safe-and-sound BC back four.

Featured Image by Bradley Smart / Heights Editor