UPDATE: BCPD Issues Second Community Awareness Bulletin Concerning Off-Campus Break-Ins
News, Off Campus, Top Story

The Boston College Police Department issued two seperate Community Awareness Bulletins concerning attempted off-campus residential burglaries in Brighton. The first was sent out Sunday night, the second Tuesday morning. 

The first bulletin detailed an attempted robbery that took place early Sunday morning in the Lane Park neighborhood of Brighton.

“An unidentified Hispanic male, approximately 6 foot tall, 20-30 years of age, with black wavy or curly hair and wearing a white sweatshirt had entered her second floor apartment through an unsecured kitchen window before entering her bedroom,” the report reads.

The victim was sleeping and woke up to the suspect in her room. At that point, the suspect fled the area.

The second bulletin details an attempt that took place in the Radnor Road neighborhood.

“An unidentified black male, approximately 6 feet tall, in his late-20’s to mid-30’s, with a scruffy beard, of average build, wearing dark clothing, and carrying a black backpack, had entered his second floor apartment through an unsecured door before entering his bedroom,” the report reads.

The victim was sleeping and woke up to the suspect in his room. The suspect fled the premises at that time. Nothing appeared to be taken during the incident, according to the report.

Both bulletins recommend that students lock doors and windows, including those on upper floors, and keep those points of access secured at all times. Students should also avoid leaving valuables in plain sight, be aware of their surroundings and neighbors, and report any suspicious activity to the police.

Several break-ins have been reported in the past nine months.

Jack Goldman contributed reporting.

Update (9/18/18, 10:51 a.m.): This article originally only included details on the first bulletin. After the second bulletin was released, the article was updated to reflect that two attempted break-ins had occurred and two bulletins had been issued. In addition, the article was updated to note that Jack Goldman contributed reporting.