Fall, Volleyball

Previewing 2018 Volleyball: Pittsburgh

With another heartbreaking five-set loss to Virginia, Boston College volleyball moved to 0-3 on its four-game road trip. The Eagles (12-5, 2-3 Atlantic Coast) are up for the biggest test of the two-week stretch when they take on an undefeated Pittsburgh (16-0, 5-0 Atlantic Coast) team this Sunday. The No. 8 Panthers stand atop the ACC standings and present an assortment of challenges to head coach Jason Kennedy’s team.

Who is BC playing?

Pittsburgh

When is BC playing?

Sunday, Oct. 7, 1 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Fitzgerald Field House, Pittsburgh, Pa.

How to watch:

The game will be broadcasted on ACC Network Extra and can be streamed on WatchESPN.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1. In the Eagles’ past two losses, they have put up over 70 points and played five sets, all while recording just under 120 kills.

2. Ally Mullen and Amaka Chukwujekwu will surely have their defensive work cut out for them as they come into the game with 69 and 61 blocks, respectively.

3. BC struggles when having to play all five sets, as its only won one of the four matches that have been taken to five sets, and all five-set losses came in the ACC.

Pittsburgh:

1. Defense is key to the Panthers’ success, as they have stifled opponents to a lowly 597 kills.

2. Kayla Lund has 23 service aces, a number that’ll force the Eagles to be on their toes from the get-go.

3. Pittsburgh has only been taken to five sets in one match this season and has yet to reach five sets in conference play.

Last Meeting:

The Eagles dropped a match to Pittsburgh in three quick sets on Oct. 15, 2017. They suffered a tough loss in the first set and came rearing back in the second, only to fall short of the Panthers. Pittsburgh’s Stephanie Williams led the team with 10 kills, but BC’s Chukwujekwu hit .846 overall, which broke the program record for individual match attack percentage.

Outlook:

Pittsburgh will undoubtedly be BC’s toughest opponent to date, yet this means the Eagles could be ready make a huge statement by knocking down the Panthers. The Eagles will be fighting to turn this road series around by at least hopefully having one road conference win to their name after the four-game stint. BC needs to come out to a strong start and push the Panthers to five sets, which is rather unfamiliar territory for Pittsburgh. Look for Chukwujekwu to have a big game, especially after the Eagles’ last match, one in which she put on a near perfect hitting performance.

Featured Image by Jonathan Ye / Heights Editor