Hockey, Men's Hockey

Previewing 2018-19 Men’s Hockey: vs. Merrimack

Boston College men’s hockey returns to Chestnut Hill this Saturday night to take on Merrimack for the second meeting of the two teams’ weekend series. Coach Jerry York and the Eagles (0-5) remain winless after a tough non-conference slate and last night’s loss to the Warriors to open Hockey East play. BC looks to return to the Heights on Saturday night and claim their first victory in front of a home crowd. Tonight’s game will be a pivotal point in the season for both teams, as Merrimack has the opportunity to sweep BC, while the Eagles are looking for a morale-boosting win to kick-start their season.

Who is BC playing?

Merrimack

When is BC playing?

Friday, Nov. 3, 7 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Kelley Rink, Chestnut Hill, Mass.

How to Watch:

The game will be available to stream on WatchESPN and aired on WEEI 850 AM.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) Despite being outscored 20-6 in five games to start the season, BC has actually averaged more shots per game than its opponents. The Eagles are currently recording 29 shots per game, while foes are registering 28.8 attempts per match.

2) Even in a goal-scoring drought, the Eagles still have plenty of players who can contribute to the attack. Four BC skaters—Michael Kim, Connor Moore, Christopher Brown, and Jacob Tortora—have two assists this season.

3) The Eagles have had success against the Warriors recently, but it hasn’t been easy. Five of BC’s last seven meetings with Merrimack have been decided by one goal.

Merrimack:

1) Junior forward Tyler Irvine has two goals and four assists this season. The Eagles defense must be wary of Irvine’s explosive abilities.

2) The Warriors’ 2-1 win against BC last night marked the first time Merrimack has defeated the Eagles at home since the 2013 season.  

3) The Warriors defense is conceding just 2.43 goals per game, good for fourth-best in Hockey East.

Last Meeting:

BC and Merrimack met last night in a tight contest which ended in a 2-1 victory for the Warriors. Merrimack scored twice on the power play and was able to withstand a late Eagles push. The defeat was BC’s first against the Warriors since the 2016 season.

Outlook:

Tonight’s contest is a must win. BC must prove that it has both the talent and the cohesion to succeed in conference play after some brutal losses to start the season. If the Eagles start playing to their potential, they certainly have the ability to defeat Merrimack. If the BC defensemen stay in sync, track Irvine well, and limit Merrimack’s shooting opportunities, BC should be able to notch its first victory tonight.

Featured Image by Jonathan Ye / For The Heights