Sports, Spring, Lacrosse

Three Transfers Join Women’s Lacrosse Ahead of 2020 Campaign

Following the conclusion of the 2019 campaign, Boston College lacrosse watched nine seniors—all of whom started in the Eagles’ National Championship loss to Maryland—depart the program, leaving behind a multitude of roles that needed replacing prior to 2020. On Tuesday afternoon, BC fans got some welcome news in that regard. 

Eagles head coach Acacia Walker-Weinstein announced in a statement released on BCEagles.com that three transfers—juniors Charlotte North and Bridget Simmons, and sophomore Rachel Hall—will join the program ahead of the 2020 campaign. 

“We are thrilled to welcome these transfers to the Boston College women’s lacrosse program. We believe they will make an immediate impact on the success and character of our program,” assistant coach Kayla Treanor commented in the statement.

North’s name should certainly be familiar to BC fans. In 2019, she starred for Duke, leading the Blue Devils with 105 points en route to Second Team All-ACC honors, and a spot on the Tewaaraton Award watch list. Her average of 4.32 goals per game ranked third-best in the nation and tops in the ACC, which makes it all the more impressive that the Eagles’ defense held her to just one score when the teams met in April. 

With the majority of BC’s best attackers, including leading point scorers Kenzie Kent and Sam Apuzzo, lost to graduation, North will likely be asked to step in and replace that production instantly as a focal point of the offense. She certainly has big shoes to fill. 

“We’ve been watching Charlotte in awe for years and not only is she a game-changer, but her skill and tenacity can positively affect others around her, be an asset to our recruiting and strengthen our program for years to come,” Walker-Weinstein said of North. “She is the type of player we wish we could start coaching today!”

Hall, on the other hand, made a name for herself at the other end of the field last season. As a true freshman in 2019, she immediately assumed starting netminder duties for Oregon, and proved herself to be one of the best goalies in the country. 

By the year’s end, Hall had amassed a nation-leading 246 saves in just 18 games, and a stellar .498 save percentage, which was good for eighth in the country. Her efforts saw her named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, and earned her a spot on the USA U-19 World Cup Championship team. Hall will compete with Abbey Ngai—who started 18 games for the Eagles last season but lost her starting spot ahead of the National Championship—for the starting role in goal next season. 

“She is the type of goalie that rarely comes around and we’re honored and excited to be coaching her,” Walker-Weinstein remarked of the rising sophomore. “We look for Rachel to add depth and national team experience to our already battle tested roster.”

Simmons, a junior, spent the first two years of her college career at the University of Albany. The Milton, Mass., native appeared in 11 games for the Great Danes in 2019, starting five and scoring five goals while recording one assist. She profiles as a depth addition for the Eagles attack, which will certainly have a new look next season. 

There were reasonable concerns that BC would take a step back in 2020 following the departure of its best-ever senior class, but under the leadership of Walker-Weinstein—who signed a contract extension this offseason—the Eagles continue to attract top-class talent. Two five-star recruits headline BC’s latest recruiting class, and North has a proven ability to lead an ACC attack while they get used to the college game. Hall meanwhile should provide the Eagles with a lockdown netminder. 

These transfers are just the latest reminder that, even though BC has come up short the past three seasons, the future remains bright for the program.

Featured Image by Bradley Smart / Heights Editor

July 16, 2019