Sports, Fall, Weekly Roundup

Weekly Roundup: Perfect Starts Continue for Multiple Sports

It’s Monday morning. So, over your cup of coffee before another week of classes or work, here’s everything you need to know about the past week of Boston College Athletics. This is the Weekly Roundup.

Other than field hockey’s struggles against the best of the Big Ten, Boston College enjoyed a highly successful week, winning all of its other games. Football put on an offensive show to move to 2-0, while both soccer teams continued their impressive starts to the year by combining for a trio of dramatic wins. Not to mention Volleyball, which exerted its will against local non-conference opponents, sweeping a weekend tournament.

RECAPS

FOOTBALL (2-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast)

BC 45, Richmond 13 (Sat.) — It was smooth sailing for the Eagles against the FCS-level Spiders. BC jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first quarter and never looked back, eventually pulling its starters after the first drive of the second half. Anthony Brown threw for 163 yards and three touchdowns, AJ Dillon ran for two and caught another, and the Eagles accumulated 518 yards of offense—346 of which came on the ground.
STORY | NOTEBOOK

FIELD HOCKEY (1-3)

No. 2 Maryland 3, No. 13 BC 1 (Fri.) — The first of two games in the ACC/B1G Cup didn’t go the Eagles’ way. Playing in Evanston, Ill., BC fell behind, 1-0, early but had an answer in the form of a Jaime Natale goal. The Terrapins proved too much, though, as they answered Natale’s goal in the first quarter and added an insurance strike late in the match. STORY

No. 15 Northwestern 3, No. 13 BC 2 (Sun.) — The more painful loss of the weekend came to the Wildcats, a team that BC had lost to in double overtime last season and was looking for revenge. For a while, it seemed like the Eagles would get it—they led, 2-1, in the fourth quarter. Then, Northwestern struck for two goals in less than 30 seconds, sending BC back to Massachusetts without a win. STORY

WOMEN’S SOCCER (6-0)

BC 1, Northeastern 0 (Thurs.) — In an eerily similar result to last year’s meeting between these local foes, it was Eagles forward Gianna Mitchell who came up with a second-half header goal to give BC its fifth straight win. Mitchell came off the bench and eventually found the back of the net in the 48th minute for the Eagles, who came away with a narrow win in a chippy, physical matchup. STORY

BC 2, New Hampshire 0 (Sun.) — The Eagles closed the week with their sixth win in a row, using a pair of second-half goals to sink the visiting Wildcats. BC had the majority of chances but couldn’t crack Wildcats keeper Cat Sheppard until the 60th minute, when senior Francesca Venezia scored her first career goal. Sam Smith added an insurance goal 16 minutes later, and Allie Augur and Maddie Murphy combined for the shutout in net. STORY

MEN’S SOCCER (3-0)

BC 2, Rhode Island 1 (Fri.) — Stefan Sigurdarson landed at No. 3 on the SportsCenter Top 10 segment with an 86th-minute goal that found its way to the upper left corner from distance. Sigurdarson’s goal, paired with a 13th-minute finish from Amos Shapiro-Thompson, was enough to overcome the Rams and extend the season-opening winning streak to three games. STORY

VOLLEYBALL (3-3)

BC sweeps UConn Challenge — Much like last season, local opponents weren’t up to par with the Eagles. BC spent the weekend in Storrs, Conn., and evened its season record in the process. The Eagles picked up wins over Central Connecticut State, Connecticut, and Iona with junior Amaka Chukwujekwu earning Tournament MVP honors after totaling 27 kills. STORY

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Wynston Tabbs ruled out for 2019-20 season — One of the biggest stories of the week, though, was a tough one: BC rising sophomore Wynston Tabbs will miss the coming season as he undergoes knee surgery. The guard showed plenty of promise in a 15-game stint with the team last year, helping the team to a 10-5 record while averaging 13.9 points. STORY

WHAT’S NEXT

Men’s soccer faces another local rival in Holy Cross on the road on Tuesday night at 7 p.m., then continues the road trip with its first conference game of the year on Saturday night at 7 p.m. against North Carolina State.

Women’s soccer takes on Providence on Thursday at 5:30 p.m., then flies down to Mississippi State for a Sunday game at 12:30 p.m. 

Football continues its home stretch with a Friday night game against a Les Miles-led Kansas team. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

Volleyball’s prolonged swing of games away from home continues as it heads to Boca Raton, Fla., to play Bethune-Cookman, Florida Atlantic, and Southern Utah in the FAU Invitational.

Field hockey aims to right the ship after three straight losses with a pair of home games against Dartmouth (Friday, 1 p.m.) and Northeastern (Sunday, 1 p.m.).

Featured Graphic by Bradley Smart / Heights Editor