Arts, Music, Review

Kanye West Affirms Faith in ‘Closed on Sunday’ Video

4 stars

This Thanksgiving, Kanye West gave his fans another thing to be thankful for: his new music video for “Closed on Sunday.” Kanye West celebrates family and faith in the single off his latest album, Jesus Is King.  

The camera peers out of the backseat of a car at a file of monstrous vehicles trailing each other, all destined for West’s version of the promised land in the desolate plains of Wyoming. The camera then cuts to West, his wife Kim Kardashian, and their children North, Saint, Chicago, and Psalm, as they sit wedged between a mountain. Kris Jenner and members of West’s Sunday Service choir are then seen emerging from their cars, before the video pans out to the entire assembly of people—including West’s sister-in-law Kourtney Kardashian and his father, Ray West. 

West celebrates his faith in the video. Kneeling on top of a cliff, he holds his hands up in prayer, promoting his devotion to God. Members of West’s Sunday Service choir surround him, dancing and singing the refrain to “Closed on Sunday” as he stands before them. Closing out the video, West’s oldest child, North, belts out one last cry for Chick-fil-A—the stand-out lyric that references Chick-fil-A’s choice to stay closed on Sundays for religious reasons.

“Closed on Sunday,” one of the most talked about songs off West’s latest album, embodies his family values and renewed faith. It’s the second music video to be released from his album, the first being “Follow God,” which was also filmed in Wyoming and features West’s father.  Although West has long cultivated a distinct identity in the rap industry, his shift toward gospel forges a new path for him. With the help of his Sunday Service choir, West is a holy man.           

Featured Image by GOOD Music