Sports, Football

Dailey to Replace Gunnell as Wide Receivers Coach

Boston College head football coach Jeff Hafley has announced that fellow New Jersey native Joe Dailey will be joining the program as a wide receivers coach. Dailey spent the past season as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at New Mexico, after spending seven seasons coaching under Turner Gill at Liberty. 

“Joe is someone I have known for a long time and he is just a terrific person and coach,” said Hafley to BCEagles.com. “He is a North Jersey guy who is one of the all-time greats from Saint Peter’s Prep. He is another great offensive mind on our coaching staff and has experience as a coordinator.”

Hafley announced Dailey’s hiring on the same day he announced that wide receivers coach Rich Gunnell, who served as interim head coach before Hafley took over, is returning to the coaching staff as the running backs coordinator. 

After playing at St. Peter’s Prep, Dailey moved on to his collegiate football career at Nebraska. Following two successful campaigns as Nebraska’s starting quarterback, Dailey transferred to North Carolina, where his path crossed with BC’s new offensive coordinator, Frank Cignetti Jr. Dailey was quarterback at the university before switching to the position of starting wide receiver for his senior season, when Cignetti joined the coaching staff.

Dailey’s coaching career began a year after graduation, when he obtained the position of offensive graduate assistant at the University of Buffalo in 2008. Dailey would then become the tight ends coach for Buffalo’s 2009 campaign, a season where the Bulls played in the 2009 International Bowl in Toronto.

Dailey would serve as the recruiting coordinator at Kansas and the quarterbacks coach at Bethune-Cookman before taking a job as the quarterbacks coach at Liberty in 2012. 

Dailey received the additional responsibility of offensive coordinator after two seasons with the Flames. After his first season at Liberty, Dailey was invited to the NFL-NCAA Coaches Academy, an organization dedicated to helping current and former NFL players learn leadership and management skills to help them continue their football careers as coaches. Dailey also helped coach the Flames to four league titles over his seven-year tenure, including one trip to the FCS Playoffs.

Features Image by Butch Dill / AP Photo