Ariel Cox, MCAS ’22, Critically Injured After Being Struck by Train
News, Off Campus, Featured Story

Ariel Cox, MCAS ’22, was hit by a commuter rail train in West Newton Friday morning, according to an email from Vice President for Student Affairs Joy Moore. Cox is currently hospitalized in critical condition, surrounded by her family and two priests from BC’s Division of Mission and Ministry.

Cox, who is from Newton, Mass., is the daughter of Donald Cox, an economics professor at BC.  

The accident was first reported by a tweet from the MBTA Transit Police account at 11:08 a.m., which said that Transit Police detectives are investigating the accident.

The MBTA commuter rail Twitter account noted police activity in the area at 10:05 a.m., tweeting that Worcester Train 512 was delayed in West Newton due to police activity, an hour before the Transit Police announced the accident.

The MBTA commuter rail Twitter account said that Worcester Train 511 was also delayed due to the police investigation, and the MBTA sent another train set to the area to help with the delay.

No other details about the incident or Cox’s condition are currently known. Moore said in her email that updates will be provided as more information becomes available.

This article is being updated.

Featured Image by Celine Lim / Heights Senior Staff