New BC Fact Book Shows Endowment Falls
News, On Campus, Academics, Featured Story, Administration

New BC Fact Book Shows Endowment Falls

The Office of Institutional Research and Planning released the Boston College Fact Book for the 2019-2020 academic year in late January. The new Fact Book shows that while the endowment fell by $93.3 million in fiscal year 2019, the campus expanded by two acres, and the day-school undergraduate AHANA+ population grew by 122 students.

The faculty also expanded to 878 members from 860 in the 2018-2019 academic year. With the graduating Class of 2019, the network of living alumni expanded to 185,724 from 182,736.

The University saw a $41.2 million hike in operating costs for the 2019 fiscal year for a total of $1.075 billion spent on operations, compared to 2018 when operating expenses cost $1.034 billion.

Undergraduate enrollment fell by seven students in the fall semester of 2019—for a total enrollment of 9,370 students. Total enrollment, however, increased by 46 students to 14,559. The number of black students remained the same, at 372, and the international student population increased by two students to 724.

The percentage of undergraduates receiving need-based financial aid rose by 1 percentage point, to 42 percent. For the 2019-2020 academic year, 68 percent of students are receiving some form of financial assistance, a percentage that remains unchanged from the previous year. The University granted an additional $9.1 million dollars in aid in 2019, raising the total granted by BC to $160.6 million. The bump in aid coincides with a $2,180 increase in tuition.

Featured Image by Nicholas Newbold / For The Heights

Owen Fahy is the special projects editor for The Heights. He was formerly an editorial assistant and assistant news editor. No one currently know what he does in his current role, but he promises he's working.