Graduate Transfer Luc Bequette Joins BC Football from Cal
Sports, Football

With kickoff for the first game of the 2020 season on the near horizon, Boston College football’s roster is still growing. 

Head coach Jeff Hafley announced during Tuesday’s press briefing that graduate transfer Luc Bequette will be joining the Eagles’ roster. The UC Berkeley graduate defensive lineman will have immediate eligibility for the 2020 season. While with the Golden Bears, Bequette redshirted his freshman year, making 2020 his sixth year of eligibility. 

“We’re trying to get him acclimated as fast as we can,” Hafley said during Tuesday’s media availability. “Give him a helmet, and let’s roll!”

After redshirting as a true freshman in 2015 as a result of an injury, Bequette was a dominant force on the line of scrimmage for the Golden Bears. In addition to the four games prior to his 2015 injury, he also started all 38 games for Cal over the last three years. 

In his time at Cal, he notched 130 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, three pass breakups, three passes defended, four forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, four quarterback hurries, and one blocked kick.

“We just showed him the opportunity—obviously it’s a great academic school,” Hafley said about Bequette’s decision to come to Boston. “He’s excited about the city and the chance just to get a graduate degree from a great university.”

Bequette joins the Eagles after the Pac-12—his alma mater’s conference—announced that it had postponed its 2020 fall football season. 

Since Hafley was hired back in December, four other transfers have also opted to join BC’s roster, including quarterback Phil Jurkovec, who is up for the starting spot in the backfield. 

Featured Image Courtesy of BC Athletics