2021 Heights Journalism Conference

About The Conference

Welcome to the first Heights Journalism Conference for high school students! The Heights is Boston College’s independent student newspaper. Writers and editors of The Heights have gone on to work for news organizations such as The Boston Globe, The Associated Press, The New York Times, and many more. This conference will give you a glimpse into the world of college journalism and provide you with the necessary tools to excel in a high school newsroom and prepare you for your next steps as a rising journalist. You’ll hear from current Heights editors as well as professional journalists with experience covering breaking news, sports, and opinions.

The conference will be held August 7-8 virtually from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. EST.
Applications are due by July 25 at 11:59 p.m. EST.

Schedule

Hear from current Heights editors about what they do in our newsroom. You will have the chance to attend four breakout sessions during the conference. Topics will include:

• News: Covering breaking news and investigative pieces both on campus and in the surrounding Boston community.
  • Sports: Covering Division 1 sports.
  • Arts: Covering local art, including concerts, art exhibits, and more.
  • Opinions: Taking the temperature of viewpoints on campus, from editorials, columns, op-eds and letters to the editor.
  • Features: Telling the stories of the campus community.
  • Visuals: From photography to graphics to layout, learn about the visual aspects of journalism.
Day 1
Introduction
Panel: Breaking into the Industry + Q&A
Break
Breakout Session 1
Breakout Session 2

Day 2
Keynote Speaker
Panel: Ins and Outs of Professional Journalism + Q&A 
Break
Breakout Session 3
Breakout Session 4
Closing Remarks

Keynote Speaker: Andrew Martin

Andrew is an award-winning journalist with more than 25 years of experience. He is the current cybersecurity editor at Bloomberg News. Andrew’s prior experience includes reporting for The New York Times and Chicago Tribune, and he is a recipient of the Nieman Journalism Fellowship at Harvard University.

Guest Speakers

Paul Sullivan

In the Wake of News Columnist and Baseball Writer at The Chicago Tribune

Patrick Mooney

Senior Writer at The Athletic

Greg Joyce

Sports Reporter at The New York Post

John Carpenter

Reporter at The Chicago Tribune

Madeline Kenney

Chicago Sky Reporter at The Chicago Sun-Times

Hugo Kugiya

Freelance Reporter and Author

Michael Sullivan

Segment Producer at CBS Interactive

Andy Backstrom

Staff Writer at Rivals.com

Timmy Facciola

Freelance Reporter, Former News Associate at The New York Times

And More!

Registration Process

Accepted applicants will be notified by email on a rolling basis. At that time, we will send a registration form where accepted applicants can select the breakout sessions they want to attend and submit any questions for the guest speakers. The registration fee for the conference is $40 and will be collected with the registration form. We will be offering a limited number of fee waivers, so if the registration fee poses a financial burden, please reach out to us.

If you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to email us at [email protected]

About The Heights

The Heights is published by The Heights, Inc., a 501(c)(3) registered nonprofit in the state of Massachusetts, and is printed on Mondays throughout the academic year. All print-edition content is posted at www.bcheights.com; the website is also updated with online-only and breaking stories throughout the week.