Sports, Top Story, Hockey, Men's Hockey

Hutsko Signs Professional Contract Following Injury

Boston College Athletics announced on Wednesday that BC men’s hockey’s Logan Hutsko will miss the remainder of the season with an injury. Reports are now swirling that Hutsko has signed a contract with the Florida Panthers, the team that drafted him 89th overall in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.

Hutsko confirmed the end of his playing career at BC on Friday in a post on his personal Instagram account. He thanked BC, his coaches, and his teammates, though he did not address his post-recovery plans.

“It breaks my heart to say my playing career at BC has come to an end due to injury,” Hutsko wrote. “My decision to be an Eagle was the best decision I’ve ever made and I’ll always cherish playing at Conte in front of our incredible friends and community.”

Hutsko reportedly signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Panthers following his injury.

Injuries have plagued Hutsko’s college career after suffering a C6 vertebrae fracture during a pregame skate with the United States National Team Development Program (USNTDP), an injury that has historically left players paralyzed. As a sophomore at BC, Hutsko sustained a concussion, laying motionless along the boards before leaving the ice on a stretcher. 

He rebounded the next year, finishing the 2019-20 season seventh in the nation for goals per game with 19 in 30 games. As an assistant captain this season, Hutsko has seen the ice in 11 games and recorded 11 points in that span. 

BC head coach Jerry York noted during his press conference after Friday’s game against BU—which Hutsko was absent from—that the senior forward had sustained an injury and would miss “significant time,” before Sports Information Director Alastair Ingram confirmed on Wednesday that Hutsko would be out for the remainder of the college season. 

The Panthers drafted Hutsko, a Tampa, Fla. native, after his standout freshman season. That year, he recorded 31 points in 37 games, including 12 goals, and was honored as the Hockey East Rookie of the Year.

“To my teammates, my brothers, I love you guys” Hutsko wrote. “Thanks for making this place so special, and I will be rooting for you guys every step of the way. Thank you BC for the best four years of my life.” 

This story is being updated.

This article previously reported that Hutsko had appeared just three games and recorded four total points and has been updated to reflect his correct point total.

This story was updated Feb. 12 at 1:15 p.m. to reflect Hutsko’s Instagram announcement.

Featured Image by Jess Rivilis / Heights Senior Staff