BC Offers Online Reporting Form for Bias-Motivated Behavior

Following the vandalism incidents on the Multicultural Learning Experience (MLE) floor of Xavier Hall, Boston College is urging students to report any experiences of bias-motivated behavior and other conduct violations through a new online form, according to an email sent to the BC community on Saturday.

“Students told us they had experienced other bias-motivated incidents on campus this academic year that were not reported to administrators who would have been in a position to respond in a timely manner and provide support,” Executive Vice President and Acting Vice President for Student Affairs Michael Lochhead wrote in the email.

The email also stated that the Office of Student Conduct completed its review of the Jan. 30 vandalism on the MLE floor—where two individuals spread trash in the hallway, knocked aggressively on residents’ doors, knocked out ceiling tiles, and tore off door decorations—and found the two perpetrators to be in violation of multiple University policies.

“Federal privacy laws preclude colleges and universities from divulging specific information on student disciplinary matters, but I want the campus community, and in particular the MLE residents, to know that these students were disciplined in accordance with Boston College’s Student Code of Conduct,” Lochhead wrote.

The email also said that the incident in which students sang racial lyrics in the MLE hallway will be adjudicated next week.

The Division of Student Affairs will also review the DiversityEdu platform—an online module which addresses diversity and inclusivity on campus that all freshmen, transfers, and graduate students are required to complete—and the University’s diversity, equity, and inclusion programming in order to make the curricula more effective, the email said.

“Working with outside experts, staff within Student Affairs and others on campus will continue to engage in dialogue with students about race, community, and college life,” Lochhead wrote. “In addition, the Division of Student Affairs will work with colleagues across campus to develop events that can help students better understand the painful and demoralizing effects of bias-motivated conduct.”

Lochhead also said that over the past few weeks, administrators and Student Affairs have engaged in conversations with students from the MLE floor, and that the Division of Student Affairs and the BC Police Department are committed to investigating all reports of bias-motivated incidents.

“I recognize that the University has more work to do so that all BC students feel welcomed and valued,” Lochhead wrote. “I assure you that the Student Affairs staff, along with BC faculty and administrators, are committed to this important work.”

Featured Image by Vikrum Singh / Heights Editor