Sports, Weekly Roundup

Weekly Sports Roundup: Week of Feb. 15

Swimming & Diving

Boston College women’s swimming and diving competed at the ACC Championship to finish out its shortened 2020-21 season. Prior to this year’s conference championship, no individual Eagle had reached the finals since 2007 until Haley Dolan did so in the 50-yard freestyle. Her 22.86 finish—a 0.05 second drop from prelims—earned her 22nd place, making her the first individual Eagle to score at ACCs since Amanda Bieler in 2015.

Senior Maura Grimes broke her own school record in the 100 backstroke with a time of 54.50. Diver Livy Poulin notched the highest finish in school history with 12th place in the 1 meter. 

Men’s swimming and diving will compete in its ACC championship from Wednesday to Saturday this week.

Women’s Tennis

The Eagles (2-2, 1-2 Atlantic Coast) took a two-game road trip, first to South Bend to take on Notre Dame (7-4, 0-1) on Friday followed by a Sunday afternoon matchup at Louisville. BC started off the weekend with a historic conference win for its first-ever road victory over the Irish. 

BC narrowly won the match 4-3 thanks to a tiebreaker win by freshman Marice Aguiar at No. 4 singles. Aguiar and Laura Lopez also won their doubles match to help secure the doubles point for the Eagles. Captain Kylie Wilcox defeated Notre Dame’s Ally Bojczuk in straight sets 6-2, 6-3. Wilcox and Yufei Long, the No. 25 doubles team in the country, led No. 19 Cameron Corse and Page Freeman 5-2 before their match ended early when BC clinched the doubles point. 

The Eagles didn’t fare as well on Sunday, falling to Louisville 2-5. Louisville won its seventh straight doubles point to open the match. Long, ranked No. 76 in singles, and freshman Sophia Edwards both won in straight sets. Wilcox, Aguiar, and Natasha Irani took their games to three sets but fell in the final set.

Men’s Tennis

BC men’s tennis (0-2, 0-2) opened its season with two straight 7-0 losses at home, first to No. 4 Virginia (7-2, 1-0) in the Eagles’ season opener followed by a loss to Virginia Tech (4-2, 1-0). In BC’s opening match, the Cavaliers swept the Eagles’ singles courts in straight sets. BC didn’t fare much better against the Hokies. Sean Mullins took Matthis Ross to three sets but fell in the final 6-3, and Virginia Tech swept the rest of BC’s singles courts in straight sets. 

Featured Graphic by Emma Healy / Heights Editor