Sports, Spring, Baseball

Eagles Topple No. 25 Auburn 8-2 in First Game of a Weekend Series

After taking home a series win over then-No. 25/11 Duke, Boston College baseball rocketed into the top 25. The Eagles have a loaded lineup this season, and their first wins over ranked teams of the year began to turn heads around the league. BC had déjà vu on Friday, taking on a No. 25 team for the second week in a row, this time against non-conference opponent Auburn.

Once again, the Eagles began the weekend series on a good note. No. 18 BC (7-1, 2-1 Atlantic Coast) took on No. 25/22 Auburn (6-3, 0-0 SEC) in game one of a three-game series in Auburn, Ala., and the Eagles delivered both at the plate and in the field for an 8-2 win. BC came into Friday’s game following a 6-4 win against Rhode Island in the Eagles’ home opener. 

The Eagles had a total of four home runs in the series opener against Auburn, with sophomore second baseman Luke Gold and junior center fielder Sal Frelick each homering twice. Shortstop Brian Dempsey had two hits and two RBIs for the Eagles, including an RBI double in the top of the fifth inning to extend BC’s lead to 5-0. BC junior third baseman Cody Morissette went an impressive 3-for-5 from the plate with two doubles, an RBI, and a run. 

Gold has put his name up in lights in practically every game this season, and Friday was no exception. He’s recorded two hits in six of the Eagles’ eight games on the year, including a running total of three home runs and a team-leading 13 RBIs on a .394 batting average.

Right-handed junior ace pitcher Mason Pelio had a strong pitching performance for the Eagles. The preseason ACC Pitcher of the Year put up 5.2 scoreless innings before leaving the game in the sixth following an error. Pelio had two strikeouts, three walks, and allowed only four hits. 

Graduate lefty Joey Walsh relieved Pelio and immediately struck out the last remaining batter in the sixth with two men on base. He finished the game allowing only two runs on three hits allowed. He had four total strikeouts en route to his third save of the season. 

Thanks in large part to lights-out pitching from Pelio, Auburn struggled to muster up any offensive chances. The Tigers’ only scoring came in the eighth inning, when sophomore Bryson Ware had an RBI pop out to center, and junior center fielder Kason Howell hit an RBI single.

Featured Image Courtesy of BC Athletics