Sports, Spring, Softball

Anderson’s No-Hitter Propels Eagles to 10-0 Win

In its first nine games, Boston College softball posted a record of 2-7. That record was hardly indicative of the team’s production. What the record doesn’t show is some tough-luck losses, most of which had final scores within a four-run margin and all of which were hard-fought. After a crushing walk-off loss to NC State on Feb. 20, the Eagles had ample time to meditate over it with a two-week layoff. 

Over the break, the Eagles went to work and emerged on their home turf as a machine firing on all cylinders. Since the Eagles’ return to the diamond, they have given up two total hits in two games. After CC Cook silenced Bryant in the Eagles’ home opener, BC ace Susannah Anderson took the circle and pitched a no-hitter to take down UMass (0-2) 10-0 for BC’s second straight run rule. 

After somewhat of a rocky start to the season, Anderson found her footing to begin Friday’s game against cross-state rival UMass, and she made her exit five innings later, two hit batters away from a perfect game. 

Anderson held the Minutewomen hitless through five innings, and she sat down the last ten batters she faced in order. UMass hitters barely had time to set their cleats in the dirt of the batters’ box before Anderson retired them. Six of UMass’ 15 outs were strikeouts, and no balls put in play left the infield.

The offense fed off Anderson’s energy and posted 10 runs in four innings at the plate. With each inning Andersson completed, the Eagles reached the dugout determined to match her intensity. BC peppered the UMass outfield with extra-base hits, tallying a season-high seven doubles on the day. After four and a half innings, the Eagles had racked up enough runs for a run rule, ending the game early.

The Giery sisters, Kristin and Nicole, shined for BC. Kristin plated the first run of the game in the first inning with an RBI single, scoring Ellie Mataya, who walked to begin the inning. The hit set the table for Emme Martinez, who followed Kristin with a bases-clearing double, extending the Eagles’ lead to 3-0 after one. In the fifth, with two runners in scoring position, Nicole delivered a two-RBI single to center field, cementing a BC victory. Overall, the Giery sisters combined for a 4-of-5 day at the plate and drove in four runs.

Mataya, the Eagles’ leadoff hitter, did not make an out against the Minutewomen. She worked counts for two walks, added on a single and a double, and didn’t make an out on the base paths, completing her flawless day. 

Cook, coming off an impressive pitching outing against Bryant, made her presence known at the plate. She broke the game open in the third with a two-RBI double, scoring Nicole and Gianna Boccagno to make the score 6-0.

The Eagles’ pitching staff has recently been on a mission. Cook, Anderson, and Peyton Schnackenberg have overwhelmed opposing batters, holding them scoreless in the Eagles’ last two games. The Eagles’ offense posted 18 runs in 10 innings at the plate over the last two contests.

Photo Courtesy of BC Athletics