BC to Increase Tuition by 2.5 Percent to $60,530 for 2021-22 Academic Year

The Board of Trustees voted to increase tuition by 2.51 percent to $60,530 for the next academic year, up from the current tuition of $59,050, according to a University release

The total cost of attending Boston College—including tuition, room and board, and fees—will increase by 2.5 percent, from $75,422 to $77,308.

Need-based undergraduate financial aid is also set to increase by 2.98 percent, to a total of $151.2 million. 

“Boston College remains one of only 20 private universities in the United States that is need-blind in admissions and meets the full-demonstrated need of all undergraduate students,” the release reads.

Vice Provost for Enrollment Management John Mahoney, BC ’79, said at a forum in 2019 that BC’s total cost of attendance will increase dramatically over the course of the decade.

“Eight years from this year, academic year ’26-27, will be the year that Boston College’s total cost for tuition, room, and board exceeds $100,000 a year,” Mahoney said.

Tuition at the BC Law School is also set to increase by $1,480 to $60,700, and the cost for graduate students enrolled in the full-time MBA program in the Carroll School of Management will grow by $1,380 to $56,760.

The average financial aid package is projected to exceed $49,000 in the 2021-22 academic year, the same average that was projected for the 2020-21 year, according to the release. The total increase in financial aid will be $4.4 million, to a total of $151.2 million.

“In 2020, Boston College was 26th out of 958 schools in the Chronicle of Higher Education’s listing of ‘Colleges that are the Most Generous to the Financially Neediest Students,’” the release reads.

Mahoney, University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J., and most of the members of the Board of Trustees are committed to keeping BC need-blind and meeting full demonstrated need, Mahoney said at the 2019 forum.

“Those are lofty principles to live up to,” he said. “[They’re] very expensive [principles] to live up to.”

Featured Image by Ikram Ali / Heights Editor