Cooking Column

Quarantine Kitchen: Carne Asada Bowl

Eating a balanced diet has always been of great importance to me. While I absolutely love to indulge in more decadent meals on the weekend, during the week, I try to stick to a high-protein diet while also incorporating a variety of healthy fats and vegetables. This carne asada bowl has been one of my go-tos for quite some time. With mouthwatering steak, hearty black beans, rich avocado, and flavorful rice, this bowl is not only nourishing but also incredibly satisfying. While it may be tempting to order something like Chipotle on Doordash or Uber Eats, the freshness and flavor profile of creating this bowl yourself is unmatched. Additionally, using your own ingredients allows customization to your specific flavor palette. With the weather getting warmer and summer on the horizon, now is a great time to whip up this fresh and filling dinner!  

DISH:

Carne Asada Bowl (with cilantro lime rice, mild pico de gallo, and black beans)

INGREDIENTS:

(Yields 4 bowls)

For the steak/marinade

1- 1¼ lb flank steak 

¼ cup soy sauce 

½ cup cilantro leaves (plus more for garnish)

1 lime juiced 

⅓ cup olive oil

½ an orange juiced

1 jalapeno finely diced

3 cloves of minced garlic

1 teaspoon cumin

Salt and pepper to taste 

For the additional items in the bowl:

(beans)

1½ – 2 cans of black beans

Salt and pepper 

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon chili powder

(rice)

1½ – 2 cups of long grain white rice

1 – 2 limes juiced 

¼ cup finely diced cilantro 

(mild pico)

⅓ white onion

One medium ripe tomato

A bit of finely diced cilantro

½ of a lime juiced 

Salt to taste

(extras)

2 avocados (½ per bowl)

Lime wedges 

RECIPE:

For the steak:

1. Start out by mixing together the soy sauce, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, jalapeno, orange juice, cumin, and salt and pepper. 
  2. Reserve half of this mixture in the fridge to pour over the top of the steak at the end of your cooking process.
  3. Place your remaining marinade and your flank steak in a Ziploc bag and massage the meat with the mixture. Place the bag in your fridge for four to six hours, occasionally flipping the meat around to make sure it is evenly coated.
  4. After letting the meat sit, remove it from the Ziploc bag, disposing of the excess marinade that has not seeped into the meat.
  5. Using a cast iron skillet on medium high heat, place the flank steak in the pan and allow it to cook for around four to five minutes on each side for medium rare.
  6. After you have reached your desired doneness, let the steak rest for five minutes before slicing it against the grain. 
  7. Pour the reserved marinade over the top before placing your carne asada in a serving bowl.

For the beans:

1. Pour out the contents of one or two cans of black beans.
  2. Mix in the garlic powder and chili powder along with the desired amount of salt and pepper.
  3. Allow flavors to meld together and cook thoroughly on a low heat for around 20 minutes.

For the cilantro lime rice:

1. Follow the directions on your bag of long grain rice for rinsing the rice, adding the right amount of water to your desired number of cups of rice (in general the ratio is usually 1 cup of rice = 2 cups of water), and for cooking time.
  2. Once the rice is fully cooked through, fluff the rice with a fork.
  3. Lastly, squeeze the limes into the rice and fold in the chopped cilantro.

For the pico de gallo 

1. Finely dice tomatoes and white onion.
  2. Next, mix in the lime juice and cilantro and make sure to taste for needed salt 

Serving:

Place desired amount of beans, rice, carne asada, and pico de gallo in your bowl.  Scoop out one half of an avocado and a lime wedge to place in the bowl for freshness. Enjoy!

Featured Graphic by Olivia Charbonneau / Heights Editor 

Photos Courtesy of Alexandra Morin / Heights Staff