Opinions, TU/TD

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down: Week Of April 12

Thumbs Up: 

• Families on campus
    • Seeing families on campus together is a wholesome reminder of home. Seeing high school students awkwardly take photos in front of Gasson is a throwback to college-visiting days and normalcy. Attending classes and being comfortable on campus is a part of Boston College students’ everyday lives, but every current student was once a prospective student, and it’s a huge thumbs up to see others appreciate BC too. 
  • Impeccable landscaping
    • With the arrival of spring, and college visits, BC is once again on a mission to perfect its landscaping. The trees are blooming, flowers are sprouting, the grass is bright green, and mulch is the icing on the cake. 

Thumbs Down: 

• Talking in Bapst
    • Bapst is a silent library. But, there seems to be a growing phenomenon of students simply forgetting this fact of life. The occasional flashback-inducing alarm or Bluetooth connection mishap is par for the course, and the silence soon resumes like a warm blanket. But taking interviews, Zooms, or discussing homework—even quietly—is outright embarrassing. If the activities listed above are absolutely necessary, BC has the perfect spot: O’Neill! 
  • Million Dollar Stairs in the Spring
    • The Million Dollar Stairs are both a beloved staple of BC’s campus and an unsympathetic test of one’s lung capacity. This stairway to heaven conjures up unique challenges during each season. In the winter the stairs are an icy test of fate. But, in the spring and summer, the heat and pollen combo induces flashbacks to middle school pacer tests, and the masks certainly don’t help.