Sports, Spring, Weekly Roundup

Weekly Sports Roundup: Week of April 12

Rowing

Boston College rowing had a great showing against UConn and Holy Cross on the Charles River, sweeping all three races on Sunday. The winner of the first varsity eight race among these three teams is awarded the Irving-Christensen Cup, and BC’s first-place finish extended its win streak to six straight victories after first winning it back from Holy Cross in 2014. 

BC won all three races in convincing fashion. In the first varsity eight race, the Eagles opened up a sizable lead over the first 1,000 meters and finished the 2K in 7:15, beating the second-place Huskies by 24 seconds. Holy Cross crossed the line just a couple of seats behind UConn.

The gap was slightly narrower in the second varsity eight competition, as the Eagles finished in 7:34 while UConn clocked in at 7:42. BC entered two boats in the third varsity eight field and soundly beat both the Crusaders’ and Huskies’ entrants. 

Field Hockey

In what has been a strong season for the No. 10 Eagles, BC (9-5, 3-2 Atlantic Coast) ended the year on a high note with a 2-1 win over No. 14 Duke (4-12, 2-4) on Senior Night on Saturday. The win gave the Eagles their fourth straight victory. 

The Blue Devils outshot the Eagles 13-11, but BC was more selective and accurate in its chances with a 7-4 advantage in shots on goal. 

Caroline McGovern opened the scoring in the 14th minute off an assist from Elizabeth Warner, and Olivia Hahn doubled the lead in the 46th minute off a rocket into the bottom left of the goal after slicing through the Duke defense. The goal was the first of Hahn’s career.

The Blue Devils scored just 30 seconds after Hahn’s goal, but BC held on for the remaining 13 minutes to secure the win. 

Men’s Tennis

It has been a challenging season for BC men’s tennis, and the final weekend of the regular season was no different. The Eagles (2-11, 0-11) fell 6-1 to both Clemson (9-13, 2-10) and Georgia Tech (11-8, 5-6). With an 0-11 record in the ACC, the 2020-21 season is the third in a row in which the Eagles have failed to win a match in the conference.

Max Motlagh was the only Eagle to notch a victory in either contest, as he defeated Georgia Tech’s Marcus McDaniel 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 and Clemson’s Yizhou Liu 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 on the first singles courts. 

Mason Fung was the only other Eagle to force a third set between the two contests, falling 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 to Clemson’s Ryuhei Azuma on Friday. 

Women’s Tennis

While its male counterparts faced beat downs at the hands of Clemson and Georgia Tech at Weymouth Club, BC women’s tennis (4-11, 2-11) faced those same opponents on the road and were met with similarly uninspiring results.

The No. 14 Yellow Jackets (15-9, 8-5) swept the Eagles 7-0 on Sunday, and no BC player even reached a third set. BC did mildly better against the Tigers (9-14, 3-10) on Saturday. Laura Lopez won a decisive victory against Ali DeSpain on the fourth singles court, and Kylie Wilcox and Yufei Long played tight matches against their opponents. The Eagles ultimately fell 6-1. 

Track and Field

Men’s and women’s track and field both closed out their seasons this weekend with competitions at the Georgia Tech Invitational and the Virginia Challenge, respectively.

BC’s 4×400 relay team was the highlight of the weekend for the men’s side with a first-place finish.

Five Eagles registered new personal bests in the 800-meter run, and Denis Gallagher led the pack with an eighth-place finish in 1:52. Marcus Manson, who led off the 4×400 meter relay, also turned in a second-place finish in the 400-meter hurdles.

On the women’s side, Marne Sullivan ran the seventh-fastest time in BC history to finish 18th in the 800-meter run. Two Eagles posted personal bests on Friday, as Lauren White placed eighth in the 5000-meter run, and Anna Oeser came in at 16th in the same event. 

Morgan Halt finished fourth in the heptathlon with 4120 points. 

Featured Graphic by Emma Healy / Heights Editor