Sports, Basketball, Men's Basketball

Jones and McGlockton Announce Commitment to BC Men’s Basketball

With many of Boston College men’s basketball’s top 2020-21 scorers leaving the program this offseason, first-year head coach Earl Grant is tasked with rebuilding from the ground up. Grant has already hired a new coaching staff and landed transfer Brevin Galloway from the College of Charleston. On Monday morning, Grant announced that two new notable prospects, Kanye Jones and Devin McGlockton, signed their letters of intent to play basketball at BC. 

Jones and McGlockton are the first two signees Grant has landed out of high school since he’s been with BC. With his reputation as a talented recruiter, however, they will not be the last. Jones committed to play with Grant at the College of Charleston during the 2020 fall signing period. McGlockton’s commitment to BC is his first.

Jones stands at 6-foot-4 and currently attends Windermere High School in Lake Butler, Fla., just outside his hometown of Orlando. He weighs in at 170 lbs and plays as a physical shooting guard. 

“Kanye [Jones] is a very skilled and athletic combo guard,” Grant said in his statement. “He is wired to score and has great speed and quickness. He will add great length to our backcourt and he has the tools to be a great defender. We’re excited about his future in Boston!”

During his senior year, Jones averaged almost 21 points, three rebounds, two assists, and two steals per game. He was a 2020-21 FHSAA Class 7A All-State selection his senior year, and he led the Wolverines to the FHSAA Class 7A Region 2 semifinals. In 41 games at Windermere, Jones scored over 1,000 points while sinking 124 3-pointers.

McGlockton, meanwhile, is a 6-foot-7, 220-pound forward from Cumming, Ga. He is a senior at South Forsyth High School, where he helped lead his team to 17 straight victories and a season-high 23 wins. He was also named a Class 7A All-State selection at the end of the 2020-21 season after leading South Forsyth to its first regional championship in 23 years. 

McGlockton averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds per game and will graduate as South Forsyth’s all-time leader in both points and rebounds, as well as second in blocks. 

“Devin [McGlockton] is a big forward who has a knack for scoring around the basket,” Grant said in the statement. “His ability to shoot the ball will allow him to play inside and out. He is a big-time rebounder and has great timing as a shot blocker. I’m excited to get him to Boston!”

Despite emphasizing the need for increased regional recruiting, the additions of Jones and McGlockton prove Grant’s ability to reach players from across the country. 

While he was an assistant coach at Clemson, Grant recruited future NBA players Jaron Blossomgame and 2014 ACC Defensive Player of the Year K.J. McDaniels. At Charleston, Grant produced Jarrell Brantley and Grant Riller, who became the third and fourth all-time Charleston players to be drafted into the NBA.
Jones and McGlockton are the first of many future BC commits, and with a new coaching staff, apparel deal, and other possible changes in the works, they are poised to lead BC basketball back to relevance.

Featured Image by Michael Dwyer/AP Photo