Sports, Spring, Softball

Louisville Snaps BC Win Streak

Coming off two wins over Louisville and riding the wave of a five-game win streak, everything was coming up rosy for Boston College softball (13-28, 8-20 Atlantic Coast) heading into its third matchup against Louisville (18-25-1, 12-9-1) on Saturday afternoon. But, the Eagles were quickly shocked back to reality, as the Cardinals outscored BC by a staggering nine runs.

Then, on Sunday afternoon, the Eagles aimed to reel it back in and win the series over the Cardinals, bringing high energy and hopes of retaliation. The Eagles’ defensive efforts were not enough to make up for what they were lacking on the offensive end, resulting in a 4-1 loss for the Eagles and a split weekend series. 

Susannah Anderson started off strong on the mound for the Eagles, holding Louisville scoreless in the first inning. The Eagles couldn’t match that energy on the offensive, however, as they suffered three quick outs, ending the inning in a stalemate.

BC started off the second inning on a high note, as Emme Martinez got down in the dirt at third to throw an out to first. Anderson then allowed a few hits and a walk, and the bases were suddenly loaded for Louisville. The Cardinals quickly put a run on the board. 

Martinez silenced Louisville’s success with her defensive skills, giving the Eagles an opportunity to close the small lead. Once again, however, BC couldn’t capitalize on its offensive opportunity and finished off the second with nothing to show for it.

The third inning told a similar story to the previous two, as the Eagles’ defensive efforts resulted in a scoreless frame for the Cardinals. Unfortunately for BC, the narrative held on the offensive end as well. Louisville made quick work of the Eagles, serving them three outs in the first three at-bats. 

A huge fourth inning for Louisville finally changed the narrative of the game. The Cardinals upped their offensive efforts, starting with a single from Celene Funke. Jenna Servi followed her with a triple, sending Funke home. Carmyn Greenwood followed that play up with an RBI, scoring Servi. 

An RBI double for Makayla Hurst sent Maddy Newman, who had reached on a single, home as the Cardinals began their runaway with the lead. Louisville finished the inning up by four. BC attempted to keep the game competitive, but the Eagles were once again served three easy outs and sent back to the dugout empty handed.

BC cleaned up its act in the fifth, issuing three quick outs to Louisville and bringing the energy on offense. Finally, the Eagles ended the inning with a point on the board, scored by Gianna Randazza.

Anderson stayed on top of her game, holding the Cardinals runless in the sixth as well. Louisville decided to switch things up on the mound, substituting Jennifer Leonhardt for Taylor Roby. Leonhardt delivered for the Cardinals, holding BC hitless.

To close out the game, the Cardinals managed two hits in the seventh that didn’t translate to the scoresheet. 

Featured Image by Ikram Ali / Heights Editor