Sports, Hockey, Women's Hockey

Northeastern Hands Eagles First Loss of Season

An unbeaten streak can only last so long, and Northeastern women’s hockey was out to end that of Boston College in a trip to Conte Forum on Friday night. 

The Eagles (6–1–0, 4–1–0 Hockey East) dropped their first game of the season losing 4–2 to Northeastern (6–2–0, 4–2–0), but not without putting up a fight.

“We made a few mistakes, [and] they capitalized on your mistakes,” BC head coach Katie Crowley said in her postgame press conference. 

The Huskies scored two goals over the course of the first period—the first around the 10-minute mark, making the score 1–0. Maddie Mills’ shot went straight past BC netminder Abigail Levy, who was just fractions of a second too late on a save attempt.

Northeastern’s second goal came with just two-and-a-half minutes left in the period. While Levy saved the initial shot, once she returned to a standing position, Peyton Anderson scored through her five-hole.

Despite the lopsided first period, the game finished with roughly an equal amount of shots and blocks from both sides, and Levy stood her ground against the onslaught of Northeastern forwards. 

During the second period, Northeastern’s Brooke Hobson scored the Huskies’ third goal, putting them up 3–0. 

But, Northeastern suffered its share of penalties within the first period, allowing BC two power plays—the first early on in the game and the second with only 56 seconds remaining in the first period. The second period, in contrast, was free from penalties on either side. 

In the third period, Northeastern put the pressure on. The Huskies earned a power-play goal by Mia Brown eight minutes into the period, but it was just the first in a series of twists and turns for the Eagles.

“I thought their power-play goal was their best goal of the night for them,” Crowley said.

Along with three penalties against BC’s Hannah Bilka, two for body checking and one for holding, she also scored the Eagles’ first goal of the game, assisted by Abby Newhook and Maddie Crowley-Cahill. 

Officials called the Huskies for holding, allowing BC’s Kelly Browne to score a power-play goal, assisted by Bilka and Gaby Roy, for the Eagles’ second score of the game.

“Let’s put this game behind us and move forward in this next game, so not a big deal. It’s okay to lose,” Crowley said. “We just need to correct a few things and move forward for tomorrow.”

Featured Image by Chris Ticas / For The Heights