Tips and Trends, Tips

Savoring the Season: How To Navigate Fall in Boston

With fall well underway, I’ve found that if I don’t plan out ways to make the most of the season, winter hits before I’ve even had the chance to. We only get one window of time every year to enjoy the changing leaves and vibrant Boston scene until the snow comes. Many of these activities weren’t possible last year because of COVID-19, so read on to find out my tips for getting all that you can out of this fall season. 

Cycle Boat Boston  

As October ends and November begins, now is the perfect time to gather a group of friends and pedal your way around the Boston Harbor on a cycle boat while the weather is still nice! Cycleboat Boston offers private charters for groups of up to 26 people as well as sunset and harbor cruises. Make sure to make your own food and drinks to enjoy while taking in the sights and sounds of the harbor. 

Time Out Market 

If you’re hungry, head over to Fenway and check out Time Out Market, where you can indulge in some of Boston’s best dishes and drinks—all under one roof. Time Out Market, which has locations all over the world, aims to bring a city’s best food, drinks, and culture together. Here in Boston, you can sample a variety of chicken dishes including gyoza and chicken and waffles from Ms. Clucks Deluxe Chicken and Dumplings, design a custom charcuterie box from Kured—which was founded by Gilli Rozynek, BC ’20—and then finish off with donuts from Union Square Donuts.

Lookout Farm

If you are looking to escape from the city, go check out Lookout Farm in South Natick. Even though it is a bit of a drive away from campus, it is well worth it if you’re looking for the classic New England fall experience. Enjoy apple and pumpkin picking, treat yourself to an apple cider donut, and eat lunch outdoors at its restaurant which offers a variety of food and house-brewed ciders. For something a little closer to campus, try Allendale farm in Brookline. 

Walk the Charles

Next time you’re itching to get outside before it gets painfully cold, I recommend taking a walk along the Charles River. Grab a friend and set up a picnic or rent a Bluebike and cruise along the water. Besides the extra dose of fresh fall air, you’ll also get a great view of Boston’s changing leaves. There are even river cruises that will take you along the Charles for an even better view of what fall has to offer. 

Go to a Sporting Event 

Whether it’s at Boston College or a professional stadium, the opportunity to go to a nearby sporting event feels even more special after two years of having to watch from a screen. Support BC football at its final home games or go into the city and see the Bruins or the Celtics start off their winter seasons at TD Garden. TD Garden is only a short ride away on the T, and you can make a whole night out of it by grabbing dinner around the stadium. 

Halloween in Salem 

With its rich, dark history, Salem, Mass. is the perfect spot for a day trip this time of the year. Visit the Salem Witch Museum or the Salem Witch Village to learn more about the infamous witch trials and stop by the Haunted Happenings Marketplace, which is filled with vendors, food, and music. 

House of Blues 

Music lovers should definitely make sure to check out the upcoming concert schedule at House of Blues. It has a variety of artists this fall from a wide range of genres. Some upcoming concerts are Surfaces on Nov. 3, Finneas on Nov. 18, and Jordan Davis on Dec. 19—but there are many more in between.

Featured Graphic by Olivia Charbonneau / Heights Editor