News, Off Campus, Top Story

Former CSOM Professor Dies After Bicycle Accident in Texas on Sunday

Kent Wosepka, a former adjunct professor of finance in the Carroll School of Management at Boston College, died on Sunday after he was hit by a car while riding a bicycle in East Texas, WCVB reported.

Wosepka was struck alongside two other bicyclists on Farm to Market Road No. 787, a highway outside of Houston, officials said. The 51-year-old from South Hamilton, Mass. was transported to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead at around 1:20 p.m.

Sixty-year-old Michael Weaver failed to control his speed and struck the bicyclists in his 2014 Ford Escape shortly after 11 a.m., the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) told WCVB. Weaver was not injured in the collision.

South Hamilton resident Elizabeth A. O’Brian and Santa Rosa, Calif. resident Barbara A. Ferrell—two other bicyclists—are in serious condition, according to the Texas DPS. The three were part of a group of six people cycling east that morning.

An official from the Texas Highway Patrol told Salem News on Monday that the incident is still under investigation and charges have not yet been filed.

Wosepka taught graduate classes on management of financial institutions in CSOM through last semester, Finance Department Chair Ronnie Sadka said in a University release.

“Kent was a great guy and stellar teacher who was highly organized, and very popular with students,” Sadka said in the release. “He came to us after he retired from Goldman Sachs; right off the bat, he received fantastic teaching evaluations from his students. He stopped teaching in 2020 so that he could spend more time travelling, but he knew he could come back to teach here at any time. We extend our deepest condolences to his family and many friends.”

Last year, Wosepka became the chair of the Executive Board of Trustees at the Montserrat College of Art in Beverly, Mass. after joining the board in 2017. He is also on the Board of Directors of Greenbelt, an Essex County land conservation group

Prior to his time at BC, Wosepka was a partner at Goldman Sachs, serving as the global head of corporate credit and co-head of sector allocation in Goldman’s Asset Management division. He also held positions at Standish Mellon Asset Management Company, Rowe Price-Fleming International, and Jeffrey Slocum and Associates.

Wosepka was an artist and father from the North Shore, where he lived with his three children, two dogs, and two goats, according to his website.

“He is almost always smudged with paint, bicycle grease or dirt,” the website reads. “He paints in oil and has been heavily influenced by the American Impressionists, particularly the Cape Ann school. He is inspired by life on the North Shore, his enthusiast children and by movement. If he is not in his studio, he is probably in the woods.”

Wosepka is a graduate of Williams College and later received a master’s in business administration from the University of Chicago.

Featured Graphic by Megan Kelly / Heights Editor