Sports, Hockey, Women's Hockey

Providence Hands BC Fourth Straight Loss

Boston College women’s hockey came out of the gate flying this year, jumping out to a 6–0 start. A weekend sweep at the hands of Northeastern two weeks ago, however, derailed the season and put BC on a downward spiral. After dropping two to Northeastern, BC took a trip across town to Harvard, and the Crimson handed BC its third straight loss.

Leaving Massachusetts to take on Providence seemed like an opportunity to get the season back on track. But despite a 34-save performance from Abigail Levy, the Eagles (6–4, 4–3 Hockey East) fell once again, losing 2–1 to Providence (4–3–3, 3–2–1).

The teams combined for a whopping 34 shots on goal in the frame, but not a single one found the net. Both goaltenders, Levy for BC and Mireille Kingsley for Providence, were outstanding, standing tall under a barrage of shots.

BC had the added advantage of two power-play opportunities in the first period but failed to convert on either. This struggle has been a recurring theme for BC, which entered today’s game just 2-of-22 or 9.1 percent on the power play. The Eagles converted on none of their four chances with the man advantage against Providence.

BC was rewarded with another power-play opportunity early on in the second period following a whistle against Providence for having too many men on the ice. Once again, the Eagles came up empty. Shortly after the power play concluded, Levy made arguably her best save of the afternoon, stopping Lindsay Bochna on a breakaway chance.

BC finally beat Kingsley halfway through the second period. Gaby Roy found a loose puck in the corner, carried it through the crease, and slotted a backhand shot into the back of the net to put BC up 1–0.

With just 2:14 remaining in the second period, Providence tied the game up. Hunter Barnett redirected a long shot from the point past Levy. The score remained 1–1 as the teams went back to the locker rooms for the second intermission.

The final period was one with very few scoring opportunities, a stark contrast to the first two frames. The Eagles’ best chance of the period came with just over five minutes remaining. A loose puck found Abby Newhook with plenty of space, but her backhand shot went just wide to keep the game tied.

With 4:20 remaining in the game, Providence scored again to take the lead. The eventual game-winning goal stemmed from a 2-on-1 opportunity for the Friars. Levy made the first save but gave up a big rebound that fell right to Barnett. Barnett fired it into the back of the nearly empty net for her second goal of the day.

Featured Image by Chris Ticas / For The Heights