Sports, Hockey, Women's Hockey

BC Women’s Hockey Ekes Out 2–1 OT Win To Complete Series Sweep Of Maine

The clock was ticking down, and Boston College women’s hockey found itself just 1:22 away from a deflating 1–0 defeat on the road in Maine. With an empty net and extra attacker out on the ice for BC, netfront traffic ensued in front of Maine’s goaltender, Loryn Porter. Hannah Bilka—Friday’s overtime hero—took control of the loose puck and fired a shot into the back of the net for another clutch goal to miraculously tie the game up and keep the Eagles alive. 

The Eagles carried this momentum into the overtime period. Just over two minutes into extra time, Bilka carried the puck down the ice and sent a picture-perfect pass to Kelly Browne, whose wrister flew into the back of the net. Behind these late-game heroics, the Eagles (10–7, 8–4 Hockey East) defeated the Black Bears (6–12–1, 4–7–1) by a score of 2–1 to complete not just a weekend sweep, but also a season sweep of Maine. 

Maine got on the board early. Just over five minutes into the opening period, Mira Seregely held possession of the puck behind the goal. She completed a net-front pass right on the tape of Alyssa Wruble’s stick. Wruble fired the puck past Levy into the back of the net to put the Black Bears up 1–0.

The majority of the first period was played in BC’s defensive end. Even though they only outshot the Eagles 11–9 in the period, the Black Bears held possession and generated better scoring chances. Despite making nine saves, Porter wasn’t truly tested until later in the matchup.

The Eagles’ offense appeared to wake up as the second period of play began, and BC was quickly awarded a power play. Porter denied Gaby Roy’s chance on the doorstep and was a brick wall in net for Maine. With a conversion rate of just 11 percent coming into the game, struggles on the power play persisted for the Eagles.

Maine nearly doubled its lead on a power-play chance of its own, but Levy made arguably her best save of the day to keep the score at just 1–0. Ida Kuoppala received a perfect pass, but Levy quickly dove from left to right to make the sprawling save. 

Late in the second period, it appeared that Porter was injured after getting bumped by Bilka, who was driving to the net. After making the save, athletic trainers checked on Porter, but she remained in the game. 

Jenna Carpenter had a great chance to tie the game in the dwindling minutes of the second period, but Porter stopped her shot off a 2-on-1 opportunity. 

Seregely almost scored in the third period, but hit the post, bailing Levy and the Eagles out to keep it a one-goal game. 

The Eagles’ weekend sweep brings the team some much-needed momentum after struggling since its perfect 6–0 start to the season.