Cooking Column, Homemade On The Heights

Homemade on the Heights: Baked Brie With Raspberry Jam

The weeks separating Thanksgiving and Christmas have always been a favorite time of mine. As those weeks passed during my first year at Boston College, I found myself longing for the comfort of watching lake-effect snow fall outside my kitchen window while holiday treats turned golden in the oven. As I grew more and more homesick, my saving grace came in the form of a visit to a friend’s house for our version of Christmas dinner in the middle of finals week. Lake-effect snow is unique to the Great Lakes region, but at that dinner, I returned to the cozy feeling I was so used to finding at home.

Part of the reason for that feeling was something entirely foreign to me: baked brie. As we sat around exchanging secret Santa gifts, my friend’s mom placed a dome of perfectly cooked puff pastry on the coffee table in front of us. As she cut into it, melted brie combined with raspberry jam poured out, and the five of us devoured it in what felt like seconds. This version of baked brie has just three ingredients—puff pastry, a wheel of brie cheese, and raspberry jam—but its simple recipe is deceptive, as the dish packs a punch for any holiday party.

DISH:

Baked Brie with Raspberry Jam

INGREDIENTS:

1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, slightly thawed

1 wheel of brie cheese, approximately 8 ounces

Raspberry jam to your liking

RECIPE:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a baking sheet.
  2. Lay out the puff pastry on the prepared baking sheet.
  3. Place 1 wheel of brie (any size, but the one I used was approximately 8 ounces) in the center of the puff pastry. 
  4. Spread raspberry jam on top of the wheel of brie. I prefer a generous layer of jam.
  5. Fold the corners of the puff pastry into the center. Bring up the other edges of the puff pastry to the center so that it completely covers the brie. You may need to seal the edges by pinching them together. 
  6. Flip the puff pastry with the brie inside upside down, setting the seam side down on the baking sheet.
  7. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes or until it has formed a golden-brown dome.
  8. Cool for 5 minutes before serving with your choice of crackers.

Featured Graphic by Annie Corrigan / Heights Editor

Photo Courtesy of Emma Healy / Heights Editor