Sports, Football

Phil Jurkovec Announces Return For 2022 Season On The Heights

After missing much of the 2021 season, Boston College football quarterback Phil Jurkovec will return for the 2022 season and forgo entering the upcoming NFL Draft, he announced on Monday. 

“Thank you to all my teammates leaving to pursue their best interests,” Jurkovec said in a release. “We wish you all success and will always support you from Boston College. In regards to my future, I will be returning to Chestnut Hill in 2022 to complete my economics degree, improve all facets of my game, and compete nationally, Let’s win!”

With Jurkovec at starting quarterback, BC went 4–2 in 2021 and is 10–6 over his career. After he suffered a wrist injury against UMass on Sept. 11, he missed six games before returning against Virginia Tech on Nov. 5.  

Jurkovec finished the 2021 regular season totaling 914 passing yards and seven touchdowns. In 2020, he threw for 2,558 passing yards for 17 touchdowns, the highest number of passing yards over the first 10 starts by any quarterback in BC history. 

In his 16 games on the Heights, Jurkovec has recorded six 300-yard passing games, placing him fifth among all BC quarterbacks. He was the first player in BC history to record four 300-yard passing games in his first five starts as BC’s signal caller. 

His accolades this season include earning ACC Quarterback of the Week, Pro Football Focus’ Quarterback of the Week, and Davey O’Brien Quarterback of the Week honors during BC’s bowl-clinching win over Georgia Tech. 

Jurkovec came to the Heights after announcing he would transfer from Notre Dame on Jan. 11, 2020, and he was granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA to start in the fall of 2020 on Aug. 4, 2020 after waiting seven months for an eligibility waiver. 

After both joining the program last year, the Pittsburgh native will play his third season under BC head coach Jeff Hafley, who signed a five-year contract extension on Nov. 29. 

Hafley expressed his support for Jurkovec’s decision on Twitter.  Jurkovec’s announcement comes ahead of the Jan. 17 deadline to declare for the 2022 NFL Draft and BC’s appearance in the Military Bowl Presented by Peraton on Dec. 27.

Featured Image by Ikram Ali / Heights Senior Staff