Sports, Hockey, Men's Hockey

BC Gives Up 2–1 Lead In Loss To UMass Lowell

Coming off a loss to Harvard on Tuesday night, Boston College men’s hockey was looking to snap its eight-game losing streak in its matchup against No. 14 UMass Lowell on Friday. 

But in its final game before the Beanpot, BC (10–13–4, 5–9–3 Hockey East) let a one-goal lead slip and fell 3–2 to UMass Lowell (15–6–3, 12–5–1) for the second time this season

UMass Lowell pushed a fast pace of play early, but BC maintained control. Without starters Marc McLaughlin, Drew Helleson, and Jack McBain, who are competing in the 2022 Olympic Games, a number of Eagles step up in their absence. Gentry Shamburger opened the scoring off a pass from Trevor Kuntar for his first career goal.

UMass Lowell responded 12 minutes later to tie the game at one.

The first penalty of the game, called on UMass Lowell’s Brehdan Engum for high sticking in the ninth minute of the second period, sent BC on its first power play of the night. 

Immediately after the River Hawks’ penalty kill, Brandon Kruse drew the second penalty of the night for hooking, sending UMass Lowell on the one-man advantage. BC remained in control of the puck in the offensive zone for the duration of its penalty kill, though, and left the period where it started: tied 1–1. 

The Eagles entered the third period with high energy, and the two teams continued their fast pace of play. Just under two minutes into the final frame, officials sent Brian Chambers to the penalty box for interference. 

On the power play, Kuntar took control and slipped the puck just above the glove of UMass Lowell goaltender Owen Savory to put the Eagles up 2–1.

BC’s offense remained in control and returned to the power play when UMass Lowell received a penalty in the ninth minute of the final frame. UMass killed the penalty, though, as Owen Cole scored a shorthanded goal to tie the game at 2–2. 

With just 1:45 left in the game, the Riverhawks scored again to make it 3–2 for UMass Lowell’s first lead of the game. BC responded by pulling goaltender Eric Dop for an extra skater, but the Eagles could not answer, and UMass Lowell left Conte Forum with a win. 
BC hasn’t won a game since its victory over Dartmouth in the Ledyard Classic on Dec. 31.

Featured Image by Ben Schultz / For the Heights