Opinions, TU/TD

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down: Week Of Feb. 14

Thumbs Up: 

• Galentine’s Day
    • Sick of watching couples kiss at the gym? Tired of all reservations at any worthwhile restaurant for the week leading up to Feb. 14 being full? Sick of stupid, cheesy Hallmark cards overcrowding the aisles at almost any drugstore? Or perhaps … lacking a romantic partner of any kind? Worry your head no more. Enter Galentine’s Day. Galentine’s Day is for the girls. But more broadly and inclusively, Galentine’s Day is for all those who value the bond of friendship, watching Euphoria with a close knit group on Sunday nights, and overloaded charcuterie boards. 
  • Dog Days of … Winter?
    • A brief hint of summer days to come drifted through campus last week, as daytime temperatures soared into the balmy 50s. As the sun shined down on Boston College’s barren winter wasteland, boys broke out their shorts again, girls swapped floor length parkas for cropped puffers, and the sun began to melt away mountainous piles of muddy ice. Spring is drawing near, though Punxsutawney Phil says otherwise. 

Thumbs Down:

• Icy Deathtraps
    • After the freezing rains that followed the East Coast’s recent bomb cyclone, landmines—that is, patches of inconspicuous black ice—popped up all over campus. One tentatively misplaced foot on one of those seemingly harmless spots will send students slipping, sliding, and flying. Bruised tailbones and scraped up palms are the proud badges worn by the student soldiers who have been through battle with an icy foe. 
  • It Will ALWAYS Suck to BU
    • After Northeastern devastatingly ripped away BC men’s hockey’s chance to play in the Beanpot Championship, BC students were left moping and moaning on the long T ride back to campus, and an air of defeat lingered for a few days after the fact. A small comfort for students, however, is the consolation of knowing that now both Huskies and Eagles can unite over a common ground: that no matter where you are, it will always suck to BU.